Dictionaries and Encyclopedias are great places to get quick and factual information. Here is a list of selected dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Article databases provide a wealth of articles from newspapers, magazines, and trade and academic journals. Below is a list of selected article databases.
- Oxford Music Online - Find biographies of famous musicians and composers, read about different genres of music, and much more
- Oxford Reference Online: Performing Arts - Short definitions and descriptions
- Credo Reference: Music - Dictionaries, encyclopedias, and Topics Pages
- Gale Virtual Reference Library: Music - Longer encyclopedia articles
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia - Guide to performing arts resources at the Library of Congress, including scores, sheet music, audio recordings, films, photographs, and other materials
Tips on using databases: Limit your search to full-text to get the whole article instead of a summary. Limit your search to peer-reviewed or academic/scholarly articles if you want to find articles from academic journals only.
From the CSN Library you can not only get print books you can also read eBooks. Below are links to lists of Music related eBooks. To find additional eBooks and print books, search in the CSN Library Catalog:
While there are millions of websites out there, they do not always provide you with reliable information. Below is a list of selected reliable websites.
Tips on using websites: When in doubt, evaluate! See if you can identify who is responsible for the website’s content and that the information is credible, unbiased, and current. Use the Evaluating Websites guide to be sure the website is appropriate for college level research.
Online videos can be a great source for college level research projects. Below are links to Music related online videos. To find additional CSN online videos and DVDs, search in the CSN Library Catalog.
- AllAboutJazz.com - Articles, audio clips, photos—all about Jazz
- Billboard - Music news, reviews, articles, and information
- Blues - PBS website to accompany the series on the blues
- Hiphop Archive - Find information about Hiphop and the culture of Hiphop
- Lester S. Levy Collection of Sheet Music at the Johns Hopkins University - Collection consists of American popular music from 1780 to 1980
- NPR Music - Read interviews, listen to studio sessions, watch videos, all about music
- Victoria and Albert Museum: Theatre and Performance - Collection of material about live performance in the UK covering drama, dance, musical theater, and rock and pop
Last updated: August 18, 2011