Students on campus


International students in F-1 status are required to enroll in a full course of study for each Fall and Spring semester and make typical academic progress towards completion of their degree program to maintain their F-1 status.

Students must take at least 12 credits of in-person classes each semester during the academic year. If continuing, students are not required to register for the summer semester.

Exceptions to full-time enrollment

Students may request a Reduced Course Load (RCL) for the exceptions listed below. Failure to enroll in a full course of study without approval for RCL will result in a violation of legal status.

Acceptable reasons outlined by immigration regulations - 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(iii) to apply for RCL:

  1. Academic Difficulties
    • Initial difficulty with the English language or reading requirements.
    • Unfamiliarity with US teaching methods.
    • Improper course level placement.

NOTE: Students must register for at least 6 credits during the semester in which they request RCL.

  1. Medical Reasons Due To A Temporary Illness Or Medical Condition
    • Students can only use medical RCL for a maximum of 12 months per degree level.
    • Students must provide a supporting medical letter from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist.
  2. Final Semester of Study
    • Students must be enrolled for at least one in-person course during the RCL semester.
    • If students have less than 12 credits remaining to complete a degree program, they can apply for RCL in their final semester.

Non-Acceptable Reasons to Apply for Reduced Credit Load (RCL)

  • Medical condition of a family member
  • Family or childcare
  • Failing class(es) or Academic Suspension
  • Auditing courses
  • Financial Difficulties

Typical academic progress

F-1 students are required to make typical academic progress towards degree/certificate completion to maintain their F-1 status. Typical academic progress includes:

  • Earning and maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.0 each semester
  • Enrolling in courses that are required to satisfy the academic degree program listed on the I-20
  • Satisfying all institutional enrollment requirements

Reduced Credit Load (RCL)

Students wishing to submit a request for Reduced Credit Load (RCL) must do the following:

  • Call the International Center for assistance with the Reduced Course Load form and receive approval.
  • Maintain a course load of at least 12 credits until permission is received from the International Center for RCL.

Please NOTE the following:

  • Failure to meet with an advisor to request RCL when you are under-enrolled may cause you to be out of status.
  • RCL permission is only valid for the semester indicated on your I-20

Your F-1 documents (visa, passport, I-20s and I-94s)

The I-94 record issued by U.S, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) shows that you have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. You can print your I-94 record here. You may need your I-94 for employment reasons, Social Security, obtaining a driver’s license, etc.

CSN will issue your initial I-20 once your application has been processed and you have been accepted. You must bring it to your visa interview. Your I-20 will be activated once you have arrived and registered for classes. This confirms your official enrollment and active student status.

It is recommended that you become familiar with the rules outlined in this section to ensure your visa remains active.


*Mandatory Rule* - To maintain F-1 status, you must keep your I-20 valid

If you are unable to complete your degree program by the program end date on your I-20, you must call the International Center at least a month prior to the program end date on your I-20 to request permission for an extension. If you fail to request a program extension in a timely manner, you will be out of status.

According to immigration regulations - 8 CFR 214.2(f)(7)(iii), the following are the most common reasons to request an I-20 extension:

  • Low placement test for ENG and MATH
  • Change of major
  • Unexpected degree requirements
  • Medical reasons

NOTE: An extension reason cannot be approved for NOT making satisfactory academic progress.


If you plan to travel outside the U.S., you must bring your current I-20 to the International Center to request a travel signature at least two weeks before your travel date. Things to do or consider before you travel:

  1. You must enroll in a full course of study and have a valid I-20
  2. You must have a valid passport
  3. Your visa must be valid beyond the date at which you plan to re-enter the U.S. (Canadian students are not required to have a visa to enter the U.S.)
  4. If you are traveling after the end of your current semester, you must be registered for the next academic semester
  5. If you are traveling during OPT, you need to check with the International Center to make sure you have all your documents before you leave


Leave of Absence / Withdrawal

If you need to return to your home country for personal reasons or have applied for a change of status, you must submit a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal request through Terra Dotta and call the International Center to process your request. Your request must be approved before withdrawing from classes.

If your request for early withdrawal is authorized, you may be required to leave the United States within 15 days of the school start date or withdrawal date.

Academic Suspension

You must call the International Center to discuss your options if you are on academic suspension.


Transferring to UNLV

CSN and UNLV belong to the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE), which means that there are many academic degrees at CSN that translate to the first two years of coursework for a 4-year bachelor’s degree at UNLV.

Students who graduate from CSN with an associate degree may transfer to UNLV with 50% (half) of a bachelor’s degree already completed.

Students intending to transfer to UNLV should:

  1. Make an appointment with the International Center to create a transfer plan.
  2. Make an appointment with a CSN/UNLV transfer advisor at one of three CSN campus locations.

Transferring to a College or University in Another State

Students intending to transfer to a college outside the state of Nevada should:

  1. Make an appointment with the International Center to create a transfer plan.
  2. Review the programs and admissions requirements for the institution to which they wish to transfer.


The International Center staff are responsible for complying with immigration regulations and assisting students in maintaining their F-1 status.  As a student in F-1 status, you are responsible for maintaining your status.

If you fail to maintain your status, the International Center staff are required to terminate your SEVIS record and you will be considered "out of status".  When you are out of status, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment, practical training, re-entry to the U.S., or other benefits of F-1 status.

The following are considered violations of F-1 status including failure to:

  • Enroll or maintain in a full course of study
  • Maintain normal academic progress
  • Request for a program extension prior to the I-20 expiration date
  • Report an address change in MyCSN within 10 days
  • Request for change of major on your I-20 if you change your major or degree level

In addition, unauthorized employment is considered a violation of F-1 status.


You have two options to regain your status if your F-1 status is terminated:

  1. Apply for reinstatement within five months. You must call the International Center for assistance with the reinstatement process in order to apply for reinstatement.
  2. Travel and re-enter the U.S. using a new I-20 from CSN.  If you re-enter with your initial I-20, you will be required to complete one academic year to apply for off-campus practical training employment.


On-Campus Employment

International students with a F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters and 40 hours during vacation periods. International students are allowed to start working on campus as soon as they begin attending CSN.

Application Requirements and Procedures for On-Campus Employment

  • Register at CSN in a full course of study to work on campus during fall and spring semesters.
  • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
  • Work on campus in a capacity that serves students.
  • Complete a document request through Terra Dotta to obtain a work authorization letter from the International Center (work authorization must be renewed every semester).
  • Complete a document request form through Terra Dotta from the International Center to obtain a social security number.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined to be any alternate work-study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school (8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)). To be considered for CPT, the work must be an integral part of the established curriculum.

Application Requirements and Procedures
Students must:

  • Call the International Center to discuss the practical training opportunity.
  • Enroll in the appropriate CPT course on the degree sheet listed in the CSN catalog.
  • Currently be in good academic standing and must maintain a full course of study.
  • Submit all required documents through Terra Dotta to receive work authorization:
    • CPT approval form signed by the appropriate instructor for the CPT class
    • A job offer letter typed on company letterhead indicating:
      • Job title
      • Date of employment
      • Hours of work per week
      • Location
      • Job description,
      • Start date
      • Employer contact information
  • Students may work part-time for 20 hour or less per week while enrolled in classes or full-time for 40 hours per week during vacation periods and summer.
  • Students will receive a new I-20 once approved for CPT.
  • Students MUST NOT begin working until they receive CPT authorization from the International Center or will be considered to be violating their F-1 status based on unauthorized employment rules.
  • Students are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number once they receive the CPT authorization.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is intended to provide hands-on practical experience complementary to the academic program, 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii).  OPT is designed to provide students with an opportunity for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study.

Application Requirements and Procedures

  • Must be in currently good academic standing and must maintain a full course of study.
  • Are required to attend an OPT workshop to discuss how to apply for OPT and the process to obtain OPT. At the workshop, students will be provided with application instructions, handouts, and an OPT form I-765 application.
  • Call the International Center to discuss your options.
  • It can take more than 90 days to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. We strongly recommend applying for OPT three months prior to finishing your program.

While Students are on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training, students must:

  • Submit a copy of their OPT card to the International Center.
  • Begin working within 90 days of the start date listed on the EAD card and must provide employer information to the International Center by completing the OPT Employer Verification form.

Students unable to find a job within 90 days of the start date on the OPT, must call the International Center.

  • Students may travel outside the US while the OPT is pending with a valid passport, visa, Notice of Action letter from USCIS, and travel signature on your I-20. However, traveling during OPT is not recommended.
  • If you have been approved for OPT, you need your EAD card, a letter from your employer, and a travel signature on your I-20. Warning! – It is difficult to obtain a new visa while on OPT.
  • If you decide to leave the US during your OPT, you must notify the International Center and submit a form so we can close your SEVIS record.

Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship is off-campus employment authorized by the USCIS for F-1 students who have proved that they are experiencing severe financial difficulties caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control. If you are experiencing severe economic hardship, please call the International Center to schedule an appointment with an advisor.


All CSN students are required to have health insurance coverage and must enroll in CSN's approved health insurance plan. Students cannot register for courses until they have purchased insurance.


Contact 702-651-5555 for assistance with CSN general information and MyCSN.

Provides international students help with admissions, orientation, academic and personal counseling and immigration advisement.
CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 106  702-651-5820

Helps students define career goals through career assessments, and offers job search, services, assistance in writing resumes and interview skills to students and community members.
- CHARLESTON Modular Bldg. 9 (near bldg. K) 702-651-5089
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 120 Student Services Area,  702-651-3174
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 120 Student Services Area,  702-651-4700

Provides one-on-one information visit and tutoring in a variety of courses.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 203,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 201, 702-651-3125
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-4232

Serves student/faculty/staff children ages 2 to 5
- CHARLESTON: 702-651-7390
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: 702-651-4944

Aids students taking communication courses who need help with practice, research, interviewing techniques, as well as with visual aid preparation. Call for hours of operation or to make an appointment.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 203,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-3125 
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-4232

Assists with Internet and CANVAS access, word processing, Microsoft Office, and tutorials in computer programs.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. C - First Floor,  702-651-5931
- HENDERSON Bldg. C - First Floor, 702-651-3002
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Second Floor, 702-651-4592

(CiT/1S) - Offers FREE assistance in Computing & Information Technology and Information Systems classes (limited days and times, check schedule at
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Telecom Bldg. - Room 2767

COUNSELING AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES (CAPS) - Provides short-term counseling/psychotherapy to student’s individuals, couples, families, and groups.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 104,  702-651-5518
- HENDERSON Bldg. C - Room 113A,  702-651-5518
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 122,  702-651-4099

Provides services for deaf and hard of hearing students.  702-651-4448

Provides accommodations to students with documented disabilities.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 116, 702-651-5644
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Student Services Area,  702-651-3795 
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 120N,  702-651-4045

Provides information and assistance to students applying for financial aid programs such as grants, work study, scholarships and loans. Apply for federal financial aid at www.fafsa .gov early every year.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D – Lobby, 702-651-4303
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Student Services Area, 702-651-4303
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E- Room 118 Student Services Area, 702-651-4303

Assists with English as a second language (ESL) testing. Provide language students access to audio, video, and computer materials used in developing language proficiency.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. C - Room 169,  702-651-5736
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Room 2649,  702-651-4475

Helps students find information and cite sources for assignments. Offers computers, study space, research workshops and books/DVDs to check out. Get online books, articles, streaming video, research guides and tutorials at
- CHARLESTON Bldg. I - First Floor ,  702-651-5723
- HENDERSON Bldg. A-120, 702-651-3066
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E – 201, 702-651-4014

Individual and group drop-in tutoring, offering assistance in various levels of math.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. K- Room 406,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON Bldg. C- Computer Lab,  702-651-3125
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-4232

A gathering space where students from all ethnic backgrounds can obtain information on support services, scholarships, program planning, and referrals to campus and community services. Its library houses resources on multiculturalism in the curriculum, teaching cultural competence, and diversity in the classroom.

- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. N - Room 204,  702-651-4231

Provides students with a central location to connect to the people and services that can help students succeed. MyCoyotePLAN also allows CSN's instructional staff to proactively engage with students using Early Alert and Kudos tools to provide enhanced student communications and support to pass their classes. This electronic student referral system administered by Advising and Coaching Services connects faculty to students and students to services, working together on strategies and interventions that can help successful course completion. Students and faculty can access MyCoyotePLAN in their GoCSN login page.

Helps in networking classes. Lab hours are changed every semester. Current information can be found at

- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. A - Room 2726

Handles admissions, transcripts, student appeal petitions, declaration of major, transfer credit evaluation, applications for graduation, name and address changes, and residency issues (including tuition classification based on state residency). To access their forms, including enrollment verification process, visit www.csn.ed u/ registrar forms.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D – Lobby,  702-651-5610                         
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Student Services Area,  702-651 -3030            
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 112 Student Services Area,  702-651-4060

Individual and group drop-in tutoring offering assistance in various levels of science.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. H - Room 203,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-3125
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-4232

Offers online tutoring, writing services, and homework assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It provides assistance in Mathematics (Basic Skills through Calculus II}, Writing, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Accounting, Economics, Spanish, Statistics, and Nursing. To access the service, log into GoCSN and then into Canvas. Choose one of your listed courses and on the left then click on Smarthinking Tutoring. Please visit 259.asp or call 651-5619 for additional information.

Works with:

Student Government - The elected student body representing all CSN students.

Academy for Leadership, Strategy and Innovation -Monthly workshops that champion leadership development

Student Clubs and Organizations - approximately 40.

Phi Theta Kappa - the honor society for community and junior colleges. (3.5 Cum GPA).

Student Identification Cards - must show a current semester schedule and photo I.D.

Please visit for additional information.

Provides monthly service leadership/volunteer opportunities in the Las Vegas valley for CSN students. Please visit for additional information.

STUDENT ACTIVITIES - Provides monthly student activities for CSN students.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. B - Room 102,  702-651-5904
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 130E,  702-651-3709
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 103,  702-651-4051

Offer placement testing for CSN students on a walk-in basis. They also offer certification, credit by examination and serve as make-up test locations. Make an appointment to test at
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D – Lobby,  702-651-5733
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 107 Across from Student Services Area,  702-651-3128
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 122 Student Services Area,  702-651-4050

Provides transfer information and application assistance to UNLV, including degree plans, course equivalency, and curriculum guidelines/agreements.
- CHARLESTON Modular Bldg. 10 (near bldg. K),  702-651-7551
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 124, 702-651-3136
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 122A ,  702-651-4931

Provides transfer information and application assistance to students planning to go on to a bachelor's degree at Nevada State College. Appointments can be scheduled at Check office hours online or call to request an appointment.
- CHARLESTON Mondays Modular Bldg. 10 (near bldg. K),  702-992-2170
- HENDERSON Tuesdays Bldg. B - Room 124,  702-992-2170
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Wednesdays Bldg. E - Room 120G,  702-992-2160

Aids with all aspects of paper writing. No appointment necessary.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. C- Room 112,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON Bldg. C - Computer Lab ,  702-651 -3125
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Computer Lab,  702-651-4232