SOUTHERN DESERT REGIONAL POLICE ACADEMY
College of Southern Nevada
Sort Code H6C
700 College Drive
Henderson, NV 89002
- Program Director: Joseph K. Forti
- Academic Director: Terry L. Pippin
- Office Manager: Heather Geeb
- Assistant: Mandy Nelson
- TAC Officers: Sergeant John Cargile, City of North Las Vegas Police Department
- Officer Lisa Zahnow, Henderson Police Department
- Officer Mike Harris, City of North Las Vegas Police Department
- Officer Steve Sharp, City of North Las Vegas Police Department
- Officer Bobby Vukanovich, City of Las Vegas Department of Public Safety
- Officer Paul Hartz, City of Las Vegas Department of Public Safety
Are You Interested in a Career in Law Enforcement?
- Graduates of a Category 1 / 3 academy will receive 39 Criminal Justice credits and both a Category 1 and Category 3 certificate, which is approved by the Nevada POST Committee. The POST certificates are good for two years from the date of graduation. The Criminal Justice credits will go towards an Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice, LETA; as well as the Certificate of Achievement, LETA.
*Please note there is an additional cost for out of state tuition costs for non-affiliated recruits*.
- Program is full-time, Monday through Thursday, with occasional Fridays. The hours are 0700 to 1730 for 22 weeks. There are occasional swing shift days for training purposes.
- Graduates from the program are currently working as law enforcement officers in many different law enforcement agencies in the State of Nevada.
- Interested non-affiliated applicants must pass a written exam, oral board, and physical fitness test. Applicants will then proceed to a background check, a VSA (Voice Stress Analyzer) test, psychological exam, and a physical exam. Applicants will need a letter from the physician stating they're qualified to participate in the academy.
- Applicants must be 21 years old and ALREADY possess a Nevada Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit. Permit must be for one of the authorized academy firearms.
We are currently compiling an interest list for the Fall 2018 academy class that will begin in mid-summer 2018. If you are interested in this upcoming academy, EMAIL US with your name and contact information, including a valid email address.
Finalized information on the Fall 2018 academy session will be disseminated as soon as it becomes available.
Please note that applications for the Spring 2018 academy are no longer being accepted.