To register for Orientation, please visit the C.O.R.E. Registration Calendar on the right.
ANNOUNCEMENT: CORE Orientations will resume in May 2019.
Who must attend
Participating in orientation is an important step for all new students and is MANDATORY for all First-Time in College Students.
- First-Time in College Students: Includes all new to CSN degree/certificate seeking students with no prior college credit. Additionally, former CSN JUMPSTART and CTE students with dual credits are required to complete orientation.
- Transfer students with previous college credits please visit Academic Counseling for instructions on scheduling an appointment with an Academic Counselor. While orientation is not required for Transfer students to complete, we highly encourage transfer students to complete the Online Orientation located in the home page of your MyCSN Account.
NOTE: Students interested in pursuing a CSN limited entry health science program are required to attend a second, separate orientation through the Ralph & Betty Engelstad School of Health Sciences.
If you are not able to attend an in-person CORE session due to a scheduling conflict, you have the option to complete the Online Orientation located in the home page of your MyCSN Account.
What to Bring
Required Items When Attending Orientation:
- A valid photo ID. (Your high school ID is sufficient.)
- The 10-digit NSHE Student ID number you received via email after applying to CSN.
- A copy of your completed CSN English and Math Placement Test Scores or make sure your test scores (or ACT/SAT scores) are showing in your MyCSN account.
- Your confirmed, active password to access your MyCSN account and register for courses.
- If you need a MyCSN password reset and you are locked out of your account, contact the CSN Call Center at 702-651-5555.
- Refer to our MyCSN Help Center for a additional assistance with navigating the MyCSN student information system.
What to Expect at CORE
Coyote Orientation & Registration Events are your chance to meet with advising staff, learn about campus resources, get degree selection help, and connect with other CSN support services, faculty, and staff. Orientation covers information and resources you need to start your education strong at CSN like:
- Student's rights and responsibilities
- Academic support services
- How to use various campus technology
- Career exploration and assessment
- Financial Aid
- Academic advising, and more
CORE SESSION AGENDA
A typical CORE event day schedule:
8:00 - 8:30 Check-in and visit campus resource tables
8:30 - 9:30 Orientation & Financial Aid Presentation
8:30 - 9:30 Parent Presentation (held in a separate room for parents; bilingual representatives available for Spanish Speaking attendees)
9:30 - 1:00 Break-out sessions for Career Assessment, Campus Technology and Academic Advising.
This schedule is subject to change.
At CORE sessions you will meet with an Academic Advisor to help you declare your major, select courses, and explore other student resources.
If you are unable to attend a CORE session, you may complete the online orientation, and submit test scores or complete CSN Placement Testing. After these steps are completed, visit the CSN home page, Login to GoCSN, and access the MyCoyotePLAN tile to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor. For step-by-step instructions, please visit Advising & Coaching Services. We highly recommend that you attend the in-person CORE sessions for a more engaged experience.
NOTE: Academic Advising for returning, continuing, and transfer students with a declared major must meet with an academic school counselor for the designated major. Schedule an appointment with an Academic Counselor.
On most CORE event dates, a parent presentation will be provided at the same time that the student orientation occurs. Sessions that will include a parent presentation are indicated when you select your CORE date. We welcome parents to attend the parent presentation. Please note that parents are not permitted in Advising rooms with their student. For additional parent resources, please visit our parent resource page.