CSN Logo

VETS Center

Veterans Education & Transition Services

VETS Center works as a liaison between CSN students and the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist veterans and their dependents with their educational benefits and academic needs. The Center not only certifies enrollment but also provides timely and accurate information on VA-related issues, as well as a place for our veteran students to socialize and study.

Student Benefits for Veterans include:

  • Assistance with educational benefits application
  • CSN admission assistance
  • Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (contact James Taylor at 702-250-3096)
  • Liaison to veteran’s regional office
  • Personal academic advising
  • Veteran work-study possibilities

VA Benefits Claims Instructions

We have updated our Claim Forms. Once you click on the Submit CSN VETS Form link below you will be redirected to the Student Portal. Click the Sign In button in the upper right corner, then use your student email (NSHEID@student.csn.edu) and CSN password to log in. Choose the correct form by clicking on the VETS App menu on the left side.

First Time Using Benefits at CSN- New Student VA Claim:

The New Student Form along with the supporting documents must be submitted via “SUBMIT CSN VETS FORM” link. Choose the New Student VA Claim from the VETS App menu. If you are unable to upload your proof of entitlement documents, they may be dropped off in-person at Modular 11. For Chapter 33, Post 9/11 and Chapter 31, Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E), we will not be able to protect your course enrollment until all requirements have been completed.

Continuing to Use Benefits at CSN - Returning Student VA Claim:

Please file an online claim using the below “SUBMIT CSN VETS FORM” link. Select the Returning Student VA Claim from the VETS App menu. Your claim will be filed with the major on file with the VETS Center from your previously certified claim.

Chapter 31 - VR&E students must have an active Authorization on file for us to accept the claim and protect classes.

If you are changing your major: Make sure to indicate “YES” you have changed your major. Please ensure you declare the new major in your MyCSN prior to 6/2/2024. 

We will accept your claim only if the change of major has been submitted and non-health science majors have met with a VETS Center advisor .

Chapter 31, VR&E students, must have an active Authorization on file with the new major for us to accept the claim and protect your course enrollment.

Change of Major Request:

This form is only to be used by students who have already had a claim form accepted for the semester and you have been prompted to complete this form by the VETS Center staff.

Once your claim is reviewed you will be sent a notification to your CSN email account, either accepting or denying your claim. You can also review the accepted or denied status by logging back into the Student Portal. Please carefully review the notification and call our office at 702-651-5060 with questions.

Once your claim is accepted, it can take the VETS Center up to 30 days to report applicable courses to the Department of Veteran Affairs. Changes made to a schedule after a certification has been made can take up to 30 days to report.

Submit CSN VETS Form

These students should consider the following requirements:

Health Sciences Majors: Please make sure you have the correct major declared in MyCSN. Also, it is recommended you visit the www.csn.edu/health website for limited entry requirements, complete an orientation, and meet with an advisor.

Chapter 31, VR&E students: Please consult with your VR&E counselor to ensure they generate Authorizations for your program. We will not be able to accept your claim and protect your classes if the VETS Center has not received your current Authorization.

Chapter 30, 33, 35, and 1606 – Programs Not Eligible for VA Benefits

AAS Aviation Technology – Professional Pilot
CA Private Pilot
CA Practical Nursing: Military Medic/Corpsman to LPN
CA Computer Science
All Apprenticeship Studies (Please talk to the programs directly to obtain approval)

Course Modalities

Remedial courses (courses below 100 level, ex. MATH 20, MATH 24, MATH 26, ENG 98) must be fully in-person to be certified to the Department of Veteran Affairs. Hybrid, Online, or Web-Remote remedial courses CANNOT be certified to VA. We report these to VA as R/D credit hours.

In-Person: In-person courses are conducted fully in-person in a traditional classroom environment. We report these to the VA as Resident credit hours.

Off-Campus: Off-campus courses are conducted in-person at a non-CSN campus location. We report these to the VA as Resident credit hours.

Hybrid: Hybrid courses must list a day, time, and in-person location. We report these to the VA as Resident credit hours.

Web-Online: Web-online are courses that are conducted fully online. We report these to the VA as Online credit hours.

Web-Remote: Web-Remote courses are conducted in an online environment but meet at a specific day and time. We report these to VA as Online credit hours.

WAVES Verification for Chapters 30, 1606, or 35

All Chapters, with the exception of Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents), and Chapter 33 (Post 911) must contact the Department of Veterans Affairs monthly to verify their enrollment by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by visiting http://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 Verification

Effective for any term beginning on or after 12/17/2021, the VA now requires students using Chapter 33 benefits to verify their enrollment each month. Please keep in mind that this is a requirement from the Department of Veteran Affairs and your payments can be affected or delayed if you fail to verify your enrollment each month. For more information regarding this requirement, please see:  https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/isaksonroe/verification_of_enrollment.asp

Military Prior Learning Experience Transfer Credit

At the College of Southern Nevada, there are several ways in which you may be able to use your military experience to finish your degree sooner than you think.  Use the links below to find out how you can maximize your training and experience as you pursue your degree at CSN.  Veteran students wanting to transfer credits from a regionally accredited institution of higher education must have an official transcript mailed or hand-carried and unopened to the Office of the Registrar.  Students who attended a foreign university or college must have their credits evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Have questions? Contact the CSN Transfer Team

Free Evaluation of Military Training

CSN offers a free evaluation of military training and experience for college credit. All credit granted for military training is given based on the American Council on Education (ACE) guide recommendations. To request an official evaluation of your military experience and training for college credit, please request an official transcript using the links below.

Alternative Credit Options

Many students have extensive knowledge gained through prior schooling, training, or on-the-job experience. Through CSN, you may have the opportunity to earn additional credit toward your degree through a variety of options.

Important VETS Center Reminders
  • Post-911 GI-Bill® Changes (Effective August 1st, 2011)
  • To qualify for monthly housing allowance, you must be over 50% Rate of Pursuit
  • All math & English remedial coursework must be taken in person.
VETS Advising Information

In order to schedule an appointment with Wayne Arnold, VETS Center Advisors, please call our office at 702-651-5060 during our regularly scheduled business hours.

Please have your name, NSHE ID number, major, VA benefit chapter, and phone number prepared when you call to request an appointment.

NOTE: Unfortunately, VA advisors cannot assist you with advising if you are pursuing a Health Sciences program. We waive the requirement of a student to meet with an advisor prior to submitting benefits for Health Sciences students; your claim with the VETS Center will not be delayed due to advising. We encourage you to review the requirements for your chosen program in Health Sciences.

If you are a VA beneficiary and have questions about your federal financial aid (FAFSA), please Carmen Torres at carmen.torres@csn.edu.

VETS Enrollment Rates
Class DurationEnrollment CreditsEnrollment Rate
4-week1 creditless-than-half time
2 creditsthree-quarter time
3 or more creditsfull time
5-week and
1 creditless-than-half-time
2 creditsone-half time
3 creditsthree-quarter time
4 or more creditsfull time
8-week1-2 creditsless-than-half time
3 creditsone-half time
4-5 creditsthree-quarter time
6 or more creditsfull time
10-week1-3 creditsless-than-half time
4 creditsone-half time
5-6 creditsthree-quarter time
7 or more creditsfull time
12-week1-3 creditsless-than-half time
4-5 creditsone-half time
6-7 creditsthree-quarter time
8 or more creditsfull time
Full-Semester1-5 creditsless-than-half time
6-8 creditsone-half time
9-11 creditsthree-quarter time
12 or more creditsfull time
VETS Center Employment

The VETS Center does not offer employment opportunities for veterans.

Veterans may be eligible for either the Veterans Affairs Workstudy Program or the Financial Aid Workstudy Program. To be eligible for the VA Workstudy Program, you must be enrolled and making a claim for VA Educational Benefits at the three-quarter-time rate or greater. To determine your eligibility for the Financial Aid Workstudy Program, contact the CSN Financial Aid Office at 702-651-4047.

VETS Center Location & Hours

VETS Center

West Charleston Campus, Modular 11
Near Building I -CSN Library and Building K-Health Sciences Building

Mailing Address

6375 W. Charleston Blvd
Sort Code WCMOD11
Las Vegas, Nevada 89146-1164
Phone: 702-651-5060
Fax: 702-651-7430

Hours of Operation:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm  Full Service
Wednesday: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm phone support only
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm Full Service
E-mail Us!

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."