Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
The Alpha Xi Beta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at CSN
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) recognizes the academic achievement of college students and provides opportunities for its members to grow as scholars and leaders. Established in 1918, Phi Theta Kappa has a presence on almost 1,300 community college campuses in 11 nations. The American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) recognized Phi Theta Kappa as the official honor society for two-year colleges in 1929. More than 3.5 million students have been inducted since 1918, with approximately 250,000 active members in the nation’s community colleges, making Phi Theta Kappa a true catalyst among members and colleges.For more information about membership benefits and to find out if Phi Theta Kappa is right for you, see our online orientation below, and visit the Phi Theta Kappa website at www.ptk.org
What are the benefits to joining Phi Theta Kappa?
- Notation of Phi Theta Kappa membership on your college diploma and transcript
- A formal induction ceremony to welcome you into the honor society
- Leadership opportunities (chapter officers, regional officers, & international officers)
- Leadership training via online course
- Receive the Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Membership Pin, Certificate, and ID Card
- Recognition by wearing Phi Theta Kappa Commencement Regalia during the college's graduation ceremony in May
- Access to exclusive scholarships
- Professional development (soft skills, entering the workforce, & university transfer)
- Online search tool for transfer scholarships, colleges, and career pathways
- Network with similar students at our monthly meetings
- A prestigious addition to the academic portion of your résumé
- A key point when discussing your education during job interviews
How Do I Join?
Membership in Phi Theta Kappa is by invitation only. All eligible students receive an invitation to join once each semester. To be eligible, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and completed a minimum of 12 college-level units at CSN. Invitations are sent out the semester following when both criteria are met. Please note that Phi Theta Kappa and CSN have specific deadlines that must be met for application processing, so please act promptly.
Is There a Fee?
Yes, there is a one-time $100 fee. When you join Phi Theta Kappa, you automatically become a member of your local chapter, Alpha Xi Beta, the Nevada/California Region, and Phi Theta Kappa International. These fees help cover the operating costs of all three organizations.
For a faster response, please email the PTK advisor at the following email address: Contact Us
Please note that Alpha Xi Beta is closed during the summer.