CSN Logo

Withdrawal From Classes


Title IV (federal) financial aid funds are awarded under the assumption that a student will remain in attendance for the entire payment period (semester) for which the funds were awarded. CSN students who receive federal financial aid and who do not remain in attendance through the end of the semester, regardless of the reason, could be responsible for repaying a portion of the financial aid originally received. Federal Aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and Federal Direct Loans.

NOTE: Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of their payment period or period of enrollment, they are considered to have earned all the financial aid originally awarded and will not be required to return any funds.

When is a recalculation of funds required?

Federal regulations require a recalculation of financial aid eligibility if a student:

  • Completely withdraws;
  • Stops attending before the semester’s end;
  • Does not complete all modules (short-term classes);
  • Or having all F, W, I, NP, AU, U or any combination

*Students who do not begin attendance in classes are not eligible for federal financial aid and must repay all aid originally received.

When a Student Fails Classes

If a financial aid recipient who has not officially withdrawn fails to receive a passing grade in a class(es) during the term, the Financial Aid Office will determine whether the student established eligibility for the aid originally awarded.

Consequences of Non-Repayment

Students who owe the US Department of Education for an overpayment of Title IV funds are not eligible for any additional federal financial aid until the overpayment is paid in full or payment arrangements are made with the US Department of Education/Debt Resolution Services.

Students who owe CSN because of an R2T4 calculation will be placed on a financial hold. They will not be allowed to register for subsequent terms or receive academic transcripts until the balance is paid.

How a Withdrawal Affects Future Financial Aid Eligibility

Refer to the Financial Aid Office Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to determine how a withdrawal impacts aid eligibility.

Contact Information

DEBT RESOLUTION SERVICES (defaulted loans & overpayment issues):1-800-621-3115
Federal Student Aid Information Center:1-800-433-3243
CSN Financial Aid Call Center:702-651-4303

Helpful Links