How do I apply for Financial Aid?

To apply for Financial Aid, visit and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is CSN's Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) school code?

Federal FAFSA school code is 010362.



When will my Financial Aid disburse?

Disbursements will happen about 7 days before the start of the semester. Please visit the main Financial Aid page for disbursement dates. Students who have been selected for verification or any other issue, NO disbursement of Financial Aid funds will happen until you have successfully completed the verification process or Financial Aid has determined that any issues involving your Financial Aid account has been resolved.

Can I attend classes if my Financial Aid is not processed?

Yes, you must contact Cashier’s Office to discuss your payment options.   

What is the status of my Financial Aid disbursement?

The status of my Financial Aid disbursement can be seen on MyCSN. Any documentation that is being requested and/or is missing will be requested via the "To Do List". Students can go to the Financial Aid tab to see what is scheduled to disburse, if all paperwork has been submitted and completed, then this is labeled as "Anticipated Aid."

When will I get my refund?

For students who are NOT selected for verification, check the CSN financial aid website for disbursement dates. After the Financial Aid Office disburses the Financial Aid award, the Cashier's Office is responsible for crediting student’s accounts and generating refunds. For student who have been selected for verification or another issue, NO disbursement of Financial Aid funds will happen until you have successfully completed the verification process or CSN Financial Aid has determined that any issues involving your Financial Aid account has been resolved.



When will I have an award package/notification?

When a student enrolls in classes, they will receive a Financial Aid award notice, If the student has submitted a FAFSA and requested information/documentation. If a student is selected for verification and does not complete this process, the Financial Aid Office will not make an award offer.

My award was cancelled.  Why?

Students awards can be cancelled for a number of reasons: SAP suspension, lack of enrollment or enrollment in classes/majors that are not funded by Financial Aid, lack of declared major, new information sent by the Department of Education, or verification.

My Federal Pell Grant was adjusted.  Why?

There are a couple of reasons: verification resulted in a higher and/or lower EFC, Department of Education notification, or classes that are dropped.

My Financial Aid was cancelled.  Can I get it reinstated?

Yes, please contact the Financial Aid Office for information on why a student’s aid will be cancelled and what can be done to reinstate a student’s award. Please be advised that there are situations in which a student’s award cannot be reinstated.

Can you explain the award notification email that I received?

Yes, please visit a Financial Aid Office for more information regarding your award notification. Every student’s award notice is different.

Can I see what my Financial Aid award is going to be before I enroll in classes?

Students do not need to be enrolled in classes to see what their award will be, if you would like an estimated award, please call or visit the Financial Aid Office.

Can I use my Financial Aid to pay for fines or excess credit fees?

Financial Aid cannot and will not pay for fines or excess credit fees, per Federal regulations. These are the responsibility of the student.

What is a "Census Date?"

The Financial Aid census date is the date that a student’s enrollment is considered "locked" by the Financial Aid Office. The census date enables the Financial Aid Office to correctly make calculations to a students Financial Aid, especially their Federal Pell Grant awards. Any enrollment after the census date will affect a student’s ability to get the Pell Grant only. Federal Loans are not affected by the census date. To see when the census date is for the current semester, go to the main Financial Aid page.

I thought I was receiving the Federal Pell Grant this semester.  Why don't I see an award?

There are a couple of reasons: verification resulted in a higher Expected Family Contribution (EFC), at maximum eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant (as determined by the Department of Education), major not declared, and/or verification paperwork not completed.

If I add late starting classes, can I get my Financial Aid?

If a student registers for a late starting class BEFORE CSN's published census date, he/she will be eligible for aid. If a student registers for a late starting class AFTER CSN's published census date, he/she will not be eligible for any federal grants. The student is eligible for federal loans as loans are not affected by the census date lock. 

Does CSN offer the Federal TEACH Grant?

CSN does not participate in the Federal TEACH Grant program. CSN does offer a Federal TEACH scholarship through CSN's Early Childhood Education Program.

How long does it take to receive my Financial Aid award after I complete the FAFSA?

This depends, the first is the correct submission of the FAFSA to the Department of Education. The second is if the student has been selected for verification or if other issues need to be resolved. The third is if the student has applied to be a CSN student. Lastly, the student should be aware that if they complete the FAFSA in February for the upcoming fall semester, the Financial Aid Office will not award the student until May.



How do I maintain eligibility for Financial Aid?

To maintain eligibility for Financial Aid, students must meet SAP standards, be a degree or certificate seeking student, have completed an up-to-date FAFSA prior to the academic year the student is seeking financial assistance, and be enrolled in and making progress towards graduation/completion of published program.

How many credits do I need to take to be eligible for Financial Aid?

Students who are Federal Pell Grant eligible, one class will provide some Pell funding for most students. Federal Pell awards are based on levels of enrollment: Full Time (12 or more credits), Three Quarter Time (9 to 11.99 credits), Half Time (6 to 8.99 credits) and Less Than Half Time (3 to 5.99 credits). Loans and Work Study both require students to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits. The Millennium Scholarship requires a minimum enrollment of 9 credits (subject to change). Other scholarships and awards have varying levels of enrollment. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information. 



I prefer to speak to the Financial Aid Office in person, can I do so?

Yes. Please use the CoyoteQ Virtual Line system to be put in line to speak with Financial Aid by visiting any of the three main campuses.  

I don't want to go into the Financial Aid Office and don't have access to a fax machine.  Is there another way to turn in my paperwork?

Yes. Students can mail the paperwork to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office prefers students to submit in person so we can review for accuracy and completeness and inform students about what might be missing and/or incomplete. If students submit incomplete paperwork via fax or mail, we will make every attempt to contact the student, but cannot be held responsible if the contact information is incorrect. 



How long does the Federal Loan Request Update form take to process once it is received by the Financial Aid Office?

Federal Loan update requests take 4 - 6 weeks to process. At the beginning of a semester, it might take longer to process as there are more Federal Loan Request Update forms being submitted.  We will then have to manually check the various Federal databases and reporting agencies to ensure that you receive the correct amount.

I have completed and submitted an Entrance Counseling Session, so why do I still have it on my "to do" list?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office (702.651.4303) we will need to research why we do not have your Entrance Counseling. Be aware that you have to (1) list CSN on the counseling, (2) ensure that you have completed the Entrance Counseling for undergraduate students - there is an option to select graduate students AND some students have completed the Financial Awareness counseling instead of the Entrance Counseling, and (3) have successfully submitted the counseling session.

I have completed and submitted my Master Promissory Note (MPN), so why do I still have it on my "To Do List”?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office (702.651.4303) to research why we do not have your MPN.  Once the Federal government approves the request (originated), the MPN should be automatically uploaded onto your account. Be sure that you have successfully completed and submitted your MPN.

When will my federal loans disburse?

If you are a first time borrower (meaning no prior loans or loan balances due to a pay-off or forgiveness), you will have a 30 day processing period as mandated by the U.S. Department of Education. If you already have a loan that has been previously disbursed, your federal loans will disburse 7 days prior to the start of the semester, unless there is an issue requiring resolution from the Financial Aid Office, other CSN departments, NSHE, or the U.S. Department of Education.

I submitted my MPN & Entrance Counseling on the same day.  How long before CSN receives it?

CSN should receive Entrance Loan Counseling within 48 hours. The Master Promissory Note will show as received when a loan is originated (requested from the Department of Education).

How long does the Alternative Loan application take to process?

4 to 6 weeks. In order to ensure you keep your classes, please contact the Cashier's Office for payment options. The Financial Aid Office cannot hold you in your classes.

My Federal Loans were cancelled and I did not decline them.  Can I have them reinstated?

Yes. Students will need to visit the Financial Aid Office and submit a federal loan update request form. If there is an external reason for the federal loan cancellation, CSN will inform the student.

Can I change/return my loan amounts?

Yes. If students have not accepted the federal loans offered on their MyCSN, please go to the accept/decline hyperlink on the MyCSN and click on the link.  Students can change their loan amounts here if they have not yet accepted the award. For students who have already accepted their awards, please visit a Financial Aid Office and complete the "Aid Change Request" form. If the loan has already disbursed and it is MORE THAN 120 DAYS, you will need to discuss this with your lender. Go to to find out who your lender is and how to contact them.

I need a Federal Student Loan Deferment Form to be completed.  Who signs it?

Students are referred to the National Clearinghouse, which is located on the CSN website. The National Clearinghouse will verify the enrollment status of the student and forward the information to the lender.

Where do I go to complete my MPN and/or Loan Entrance Counseling?

Students who need to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling, Financial Awareness, and/or the MPN should go to:

How do I accept my loans?

Log into your MyCSN and look for the accept/decline link. This is located in the "Finances" section. Click on the link and it will take you to your award page. You can accept, decline, or change the amount of the federal loans.

I accepted my federal loans on MyCSN.  What now?

After you accept your award, you will need to make sure that you complete the Loan Entrance Counseling and MPN, which can be found at



I have a balance but my aid disbursed at the beginning of the semester.  Why?

Several reasons could exist: withdrawing from a class (es), verification increased a students EFC, enrolling in short term/late start/dynamic classes will change a students Cost of Attendance (COA), and/or expected graduation changed a students COA. We want to provide you with the most accurate information and ask that you call or stop by the Financial Aid Office.



If I submit an appeal, how will I know it has been approved or denied?

The CSN Financial Aid Office will contact the student, via email to the student’s personal email as listed on their MyCSN and to the MyCSN communication center.

How long after I submit my appeal, will I be notified of a decision?

It depends on the number of SAP appeals needing to be reviewed and information needing to be verified. SAP appeals are reviewed first come first serve. 

My SAP appeal has been denied.  Can I have it reviewed again?

No. The decision of the SAP committee is final and cannot be appealed or re-reviewed. 

How many SAP appeals can I submit?

Students can submit only two SAP appeals as a CSN student.

When can I submit a SAP appeal?

You can submit a SAP appeal form at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the following semester after sitting out one semester or after the semester that you paid your own charges.



Am I able to view outside scholarships on MyCSN?

Yes. If CSN has received your scholarship funds and packaged it, you will receive a Financial Aid award notification. The notification, the donor, and the disbursement amount(s) can be viewed on the MyCSN Financial Aid tab.

I have questions about my scholarship(s).  Who should I talk to?

Please contact the CSN Financial Aid & Scholarship Office.

I have a scholarship and my donor needs to send the check, what is the address?

CSN Financial Aid & Scholarship Office, 6375 W. Charleston Blvd., Sort Code WCD126, Las Vegas, Nevada 89146

Why hasn't my Millennium Award posted?  Is there anything that I need to do?

If you have submitted the Millennium acknowledgement and declared a major PRIOR to the start of the semester and your Millennium has not been posted, please contact the Financial Aid office.



What do I have to do to get Financial Aid for the summer?

Aside from registering for classes, there is very little a student needs. The most important thing is to verify that he/she still has enough remaining Financial Aid. This can be viewed on your MyCSN Financial Aid tab.



I turned in my paperwork.  What is the turnaround time before I am awarded?

The College of Southern Nevada Financial Aid Office has partnered with Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program (NSLP) to help expedite the federal Verification process.  Inceptia will begin accepting and processing federal Verification files beginning on September 11, 2017.  Please visit the Inceptia Verification Gateway or call Inceptia at  888-374-8427 for processing time and/or additional information.


How do I know if CSN requires any documentation or information pertaining to verification and/or C-flags?

The College of Southern Nevada Financial Aid Office has partnered with Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program (NSLP) to help expedite the federal verification process.  If your FAFSA application is selected for Verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will receive an introductory email to the email address you provided on the FAFSA.  If no email was provided, you will receive an introductory postcard.  The postcard will have our school logo along with Inceptia's, so you will know it is official. 


As for other requirements to be reviewed (such as citizenship, selective service, and other comment codes/flags), CSN will contact you through MyCSN.  Log in to your MyCSN account, if there is anything that is required, it will populate in your "TO DO LIST." If you are unable to locate, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 702-651-4303.



If I drop a class, some of my classes, or all of my classes, how will it affect my Financial Aid? And will I have to pay anything back?

This depends on what the student’s award was, when they dropped their classes, and how many classes were dropped. Please contact the Financial Aid Office.

If a student drops a class prior to the start of the semester, the Pell award will be reduced to reflect the appropriate number of classes the student is enrolled in. If the student drops during the semester, there are two (2) consequences: First is that a Return to Title Four (R2T4) calculation is mandatory and CSN will determine how much of the aid was not earned/deserved and the student is now responsible for paying that amount back to CSN and/or the Department of Education. Second consequence is that the dropped class (es) may have an impact on the students SAP status.

If I drop a class and enroll in another class, will my Financial Aid still cover my tuition?

Students who drop a class and add another before the Financial Aid census date may have the Pell Grant applied to their tuition charges. Students who enroll after the census date are no longer eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and will need to take out a loan (if not already done) or pay out of pocket for the class (es).



How do I contact the Work Study Office?

Visit us online.

Email Us

Phone is 702-651-4327 or 702-651-4318.
Hours are Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm.


CSN Coyote Chat Bot Logo