Immigration Employment

Employment while in F-1 Status

International Students may work under limited conditions.


To be eligible for on-campus employment, students must:

  • Be registered full-time and in good status.
  • Submit that letter to their on-campus employer and update it every semester.


Curricular Practical Training (CPT):

  • Student must be pursuing a degree program requiring you to gain experience through part-time work.
  • Students must schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor for authorization prior to working.

Optional Practical Training (OPT):

  • Students successfully completing a degree program may apply to the Department of Homeland Security for work authorization in their field of study for a maximum of 12 months.  Students interested in this option must attend an OPT workshop during their final semester.
  • Students currently on OPT must provide employer information to the International Center by completing the OPT Employee Address Form.