See CSN Audio Recording Courses for full course descriptions and schedules!
The CSN Music Program offers 30-credit Certificate of Achievement in Music Business and Technology.
View our Music Degrees and Certificates.
Enrollment for the 2018 Fall Semester is going on now!
The CSN Recording Program will be featuring revised and updated curricula, new computers, hundreds of additional software plugins, and expanded implementation of DANTE Ethernet network system audio routing technology among its ongoing improvements!
The first comprehensive audio recording courses to enroll in are:
- MUS 231 - "Recording Techniques I"
- MUS 239 - "Virtual Studio Technology"
MUS 239 is a required co-requisite for MUS 231.
These two courses complement each other. MUS 239 focuses entirely on Avid Pro Tools, the software program used in MUS 231. (MUS 231 covers mixboards, microphones, physics of sound and other topics as well). These courses are also required for CSN’s newly revised Certificate of Achievement in Music Business and Technology. (MUS 160 “Computer Music Technology I” can also be taken, and is one of the electives in our Certificate).
- MUS 160 - "Computer Music Technology I" covers basic concepts of using software and computer-related hardware, and focuses on Ableton Live and Apple Logic.
- MUS 231 - "Recording Techniques I" is an introduction to audio recording including theoretical concepts, terminology, microphones, consoles, and use of analog and digital equipment. Includes hands-on training and use of a separate "Drop-In" Lab.
- MUS 239 - "Virtual Studio Technology" Is our first-level course in Avid ProTools, and also covers computer system fundamentals. There is one computer-per-student, each with a MIDI keyboard. (Our Computer Music Classroom/Lab is shown at the top of this page). Yamaha's DANTE Ethernet network system is used to route audio.
CSN has two fully equipped Control Rooms, a studio large enough to accommodate a 50-piece orchestra, and an isolation room. Our courses utilize all of these facilities, and have a lab-to-lecture ratio of at least 2-to-1 to ensure students receive hands-on training on industry-standard equipment the same or similar to those in commercial facilities. A separate Computer Music Lab is used for independent practice.
The CSN equipment list includes ProTools 12 HDX2, HD3 and Native systems with innumerable plugins, and 24-Track analog tape recording. Manley, Lexicon, API, Grace, Empirical Labs, TC Electronics and Chandler are among our many outboard processors. Our microphones include models from Neumann, Royer, AKG, Coles, Mojave, Earthworks and many more.
Our faculty has many years of experience in the commercial recording industry, covering all aspects of audio production and with many notable credits.
We offer class sections on different days and times, including evenings. For more course information including a current list of days and times for all of the recording classes at CSN please see: CSN Audio Recording Courses.
All recording classes and facilities are at the North Las Vegas Campus of CSN. For Admissions and Registration, please use the links on the Admissions page or contact the Registrar’s Office at any CSN campus. (At the North Las Vegas Campus, the Registrar’s phone number is 702-651-4060). There are two more required Recording Courses for the Certificate, and we have just added two more courses: "Studio Session Procedures" (a semester-long recording project) and a genre-specific "Urban Music Production" course. One-on-one Private Instruction is also available.
For an overview and more details of what is available please see CSN Audio Recording Facilities and Equipment.