Table of Contents
Rocky Mountain Sweetheart Murder Ballad
H. Lee Barnes
Matthew J. Andrews
Mental Checklist While Running
David M. Alper
Central Park Tempest (or, Miranda's Empowerment)
When the Time Came
Postcards from the Blue Ridge, Burning
Verónica González Arredondo
translated by Allison A. deFresse
The Body's Thanksgiving
The Birds Are Louder
a history of rabbits
Wolf Tours: Day Three
Wolf Tours: Final Day
John T. Howard
The Guitar Sobbing, Awaking From Her Dream
Red Rock Review is a biannual literary journal that publishes poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction by emerging and established writers. Founded in 1996, Red Rock Review is housed and supported by The College of Southern Nevada. Publication of Red Rock Review is made possible by the School of Arts and Letters, the arts organizations of Nevada, and generosity of the community members of Las Vegas.
- Editor-in-Chief: Jacob Elison
- Associate Editor: John Ziebell
- Fiction Editor: Julie MacDonald
- Poetry Editor: Katelyn Joy Wilkinson
- Managing Editor: Megan Padilla
- Contributing Editors & Advisors: H. Lee Barnes, Laura McBride, Erica Vital-Lazare, Patricia Charlton
- Staff Editors: Jared J. Hawker, Todd Moffett
- Business Manager: Carl-Jon Chun
Red Rock Review accepts submissions of previously unpublished work in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry from both established and emerging writers. We also occasionally place calls for cover art (see submittable for details). Our submission periods run from from August 1st to November 30th and Jan 15th to April 30th. We seek strong voices with unique views, ambitious narratives, and thoughtfully crafted work that uses language in new and interesting ways. We look forward to reading your best work!
- We only accept submissions online through Submittable. We do not accept submissions via email or post at this time. Specific guidelines for submitting fiction and poetry can be found here. In the event that we reach our Submittable cap for the month, submissions may close early. Please check back with us once the month resets!
- We gladly accept simultaneous submissions. Please notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere and withdraw your submission through the Submittable system. To withdraw individual poems, simply add a note identifying which piece is no longer available.
- While we endeavor to respond to all submissions within six months, response times can be longer due to high submission volumes. Please wait until six months have passed before querying your work.
- We ask for first North American serial rights and non-exclusive electronic rights for our website. Rights revert to the author upon publication.
- Published authors are paid in the form of two contributor's copies. Additional copies of the journal may be purchased (details below).
Publication of Red Rock Review is made possible by the financial support given by our sponsoring school, College of Southern Nevada. In particular, we thank Vartouhi Asherian, Interim Dean of the School of Arts and Letters, Patricia Charlton, Campus Provost/ CSN Vice President Henderson Campus, and Mary Kaye Bailey, Vice President of Finance and Administration, for their efforts on our behalf.
Publication of Red Rock Review is also possible because of the generosity of the community members of Las Vegas and the arts organizations of Nevada. In accordance with the policies of the College of Southern Nevada, any content published by the Red Rock Review on its website and/or in publications online or in hard copy are the views of the contributing authors and are not endorsed by the Board of Regents, the System or a university, state college or community college within the System. Finally, our deepest appreciation to CSN President Dr. Federico Zaragoza for his support of Red Rock Review.
Current and back issues of Red Rock Review are available for purchase through Submittable.
Inventory on older issues is very limited; if you're looking for a specific issue that is not listed for sale online, please email us directly regarding availability, international shipping, or other purchasing questions.