CSN Logo

Transferring to CSN

Getting your college transcript evaluated is an important step in transferring to CSN.  You will need to:

  1. Forward an official transcript or translated version in a sealed envelope to:
    Office of the Registrar
    College of Southern Nevada
    6375 W Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89146
  2. Once you receive an email notifying you that your evaluation is complete, visit an academic advisor who can help show how your credits can best work for you.

For more information regarding credit evaluation, contact the Office of the Registrar at 702-651-4060.

Helpful Tips


Transfer FAQs
  1. When should I start to plan for transfer to a four-year college?
    You should begin planning during your first semester at CSN. By planning early, you can explore options and develop an educational plan that will best meet your transfer goals and academic requirements of your school(s) of choice.
  2. It is extremely important that you talk to an academic advisor about transferring courses to a specific College/University. Be sure to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss your transfer – use MyCoyotePLAN to make an appointment.
  3. What happens to my GPA once I transfer?
    While most CSN credits should transfer to other institutions, your grades may not.
  4. How can I get my transcripts sent to another school?
    Submit the Transcript Request Form with CSN's Office of the Registrar
  5. How many credits do I need to transfer?
    Students are strongly advised to graduate from CSN to facilitate junior transfer status to the school of choice. Earning an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of Business degree from CSN will typically accomplish this, especially if transferring to UNLV or UNR. It is up to each institution to decide what credits will be accepted. To learn about transfer requirements, students need to consult the college or university catalog where they want to transfer.
  6. Is there a maximum number of credits I can transfer?
    As a general rule, the maximum number of credits accepted for transfer is 60 semester credits or up to 1/2 of the total credits required for the four-year program.
  7. What if I take more than 60 credits?
    Most colleges and universities will accept 60 semester credits towards the total number of units needed to complete a bachelor's degree; however, for students who have taken more than 60 credits, the content of the extra courses may be used to satisfy either requirements or electives. It will also depend on whether or not a Transfer Agreement has been completed and/or if the number of credits required for the bachelor's degree is more than 120 credits. Normally four year institutions will accept up to ½ of the total credits required for the degree to come from a two year college. There are exceptions to this. It is recommended that you see a CSN Academic Advisor about the specific requirements for the college you are interested in.
  8. What is the minimum acceptable GPA for transfer?
    The minimum GPA needed to transfer varies depending on the institution you want to transfer to as well as the program you are interested in. It is advisable to check the institution's website or check with a CSN Academic Advisor.
  9. What is a competitive GPA for transfer?
    To be accepted to a high demand campus, the GPA for admission should be considerably higher than the minimum requirements.  A GPA of 3.0 and higher may be required for students to be competitive for transfer admission, with the most competitive institutions expecting much higher grade point averages.  The desired GPA will vary each year according to the specific applicant pool at that time.  A CSN Academic Advisor can provide advice regarding competitive grade point average requirements for specific campuses/majors.
  10. What is GE?
    GE (or General Education) is a program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides a broad educational experience. Courses are usually introductory in nature and provide students with fundamental skills and knowledge in English, arts, mathematics, social sciences, physical and biological sciences.
  11. What is the difference between an associate degree and a bachelor's degree?
    An associate degree is a two-year degree granted by a community college to students who complete a specified program of study, usually totaling a minimum of 60 semester credits.

    A bachelor’s degree (or baccalaureate) is a four-year degree granted upon completion of at least 120 semester units or 180 quarter units.

  12. What is the difference between lower division and upper division courses?
    Lower division courses are offered for freshman and sophomore level credit. All courses offered at a community college are lower division courses.

    Upper division courses are offered for junior and senior level credit. These courses are not offered by community colleges.

  13. What is articulation?
    Articulation is the process of evaluating courses to determine whether coursework completed at one college will meet the requirements for admission, transfer credit, general education, or major preparation at another college.
  14. What is a major?
    A major is a program of study which leads to a degree. It is the primary area of study in which the greatest depth of knowledge will be developed. Although there are a dozen or so popular majors, there are literally hundreds of other, lesser known, majors. By reading university catalogs, students can familiarize themselves with the array of majors offered at each campus and the scope or philosophy of that particular program. For example, a psychology major at one college or university might offer concentrations in clinical or psychobiology, but a different institution might offer concentrations in industrial psychology, human development and abnormal psychology.
  15. What is a minor?
    A minor is a secondary field of study, not as comprehensive as the major. Most majors usually require between 18 to 24 semester credits.
  16. Do I need to declare a major before I transfer?
    Most, but not all, colleges require students to declare a major prior to transfer. Many universities make admissions determinations based upon the number of lower division major preparatory classes a student has completed.  Completing major preparation prior to transfer typically will mean that students are less likely to take additional time to graduate after transfer.  Speeding the time to graduate also saves students money.  Students should always check with a CSN Academic Advisor for assistance in determining which lower division preparation is necessary for submitting a competitive application.
  17. How do I find out about transfer requirements for my school?
    Students are encouraged to visit the college(s) to which they are interested in transferring as well as researching the transfer requirements in the specific college catalog and/or website.  If a representative from the college visits CSN, students should make an appointment to meet with him/her.
  18. What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?
    Each college/university has an academic year with terms marking the beginning and end of classes.
    A quarter is one type of term within an academic year. Each quarter is 10 weeks in length, and there are usually three quarters (fall, winter and spring) per academic year.
    A semester is the other type of term within an academic year. Each semester is 15 weeks in length, and there are two semesters (fall and spring) in an academic year.
    In addition some colleges offer a fourth term during the summer. Most other colleges offer summer classes; however, summer is not considered an official term of the academic year.
Transfer Credit Evaluation Information

Students transferring from regionally accredited institutions of higher education might be granted credit for work completed which is equivalent to courses offered at CSN.

Transferability of credits will be determined by the Office of the Registrar.

Students must follow these steps:

  1. Students must have an official transcript mailed or hand carried and unopened to the Office of the Registrar.  Students who attended a higher education institution outside of USA must have their credits evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation company.  CSN accepts evaluations from members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).  
    See a list of NACES members.
  2. Once received, the Transfer Credit Evaluation Team will complete an evaluation of your official transcript. An e-mail will be sent to you upon completion of the evaluation.


  • To meet graduation requirements, a transfer student must complete the appropriate 15 credit hours in residence for a degree or certificate.
  • A student must take the appropriate 15 credit hours in residence in his or her major occupational area or Special Program Requirement for an Associate of Applied Science degree or a Certificate of Achievement.
  • The College will accept “D” grades as elective credit provided the cumulative grade point average (GPA)from the transfer institution, for the semester in question, is 2.0 or above.
  • If a student’s cumulative GPA is below 2.0, “D” or below grades will be denied.
  • Grades of “D+, D, and D- cannot be used to fulfill major occupational area Special Program requirements in Associate of Applied Science degrees.
  • If a transfer student requests a credit evaluation, allow four to six weeks for processing.
College Transfer Credit Evaluation Tool

The College of Southern Nevada (CSN) will accept transfer credit for traditional coursework you have successfully completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning.  The applicability of a specific course towards a degree depends on the requirements of the department or major in which you are enrolled.  Students are responsible for working with the Office of the Registrar to confirm all transfer credits are on file with CSN.  To find out how completed coursework from previous institutions will transfer to CSN, click on the name of the institution below.  Our College Transfer Credit Evaluation Tool can help you estimate how the previous college credits you've earned could transfer to CSN.  Listing for additional schools will continue to be posted as they become available. Keep in mind that this is an unofficial evaluation.  CSN will make an official determination of transfer credit after official transcripts of your previously completed coursework have been received.