CSN Logo

CSN - Residency Information

Special Notice to Certain Veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States and their Spouses and Dependents

You may be eligible for resident tuition pursuant to Title 4, Chapter 15, Sections 3 and 4 of the Board of Regents Handbook. To learn if you qualify, please review NSHE's VA Tuition Information Form .

Residency Decisions
  • CSN's admissions application contains a series of qualifier questions that automatically determine in or out-of-state residency status depending on answers provided by the student.
  • Residency status is posted on the student's admission letter sent to both the student's Communication Center in MyCSN and to the student's personal e-mail address on file. Residency status information is also captured in the student's MyCSN account under Demographic Data.
  • A request to change residency status, including issues linked to probable incorrect information on the admissions application, require that the student apply for residency.
  • For tuition purposes, a student is considered a resident of the state in which he/she files taxes or where the student is claimed as a dependent.
  • Legal dependent qualifier consists ONLY of legal parents or legal guardians (with proof of birth certificate, adoption papers, legal guardianship) and legal spouses (with proof of marriage license or registered domestic partnership).
  • Under no circumstance can a request for residency change be reviewed by the institution without the student first filing a residency application.

For your convenience, CSN has compiled answers to common residency inquiries under the Nevada Residency FAQ's accordion below.

Qualifying for Nevada Residency

Residency regulations have been established by the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE). Generally, the categories listed below qualify for Nevada resident status. For specific definitions and supporting documentations, please refer to the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 15, Sections 1 - 4.

  1. Nevada high school graduate.
  2. Established residency at another NSHE institution- UNLV, UNR, NSC, GBC, TMCC, or WNC.
  3. Member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty in the state of Nevada or their qualified legal dependent
  4. Full-time licensed personnel employed by a public school district in Nevada or their qualified legal dependent.
  5. Teacher currently employed full-time in Nevada or their qualified legal dependent.
  6. Professional or classified employee of NSHE employed at least half-time or their qualified legal dependent.
  7. Relocation for employment to the state of Nevada (applies to qualified legal dependent).
  8. Member of a Native American tribe currently residing on tribal land located within Nevada.
  9. A student with continuous physical presence in the state of Nevada for at least 12 months prior to the date of matriculation.
Terms of the Residency Application
  • Incomplete applications missing required supporting documentation cannot be accepted or processed - NO EXCEPTIONS
  • Supporting documents must be in the form of photocopies and not originals. CSN will not make copies of submitted paperwork. All submitted documentation becomes the property of CSN.
  • You may hand-deliver or mail the residency application with documentation to the Office of the Registrar.
    Applications must meet the following deadlines - NO EXCEPTIONS
Residency Application Dates:

Fall Term

First day to apply for instate residency for the fall term - first Monday in April

Last day to apply for instate residency for the fall term - first Friday in August

Spring Term

First day to apply for instate residency for the spring term - first Monday in November

Last day to apply for instate residency for the spring term - last Friday in December

Special Note

The Office of the Registrar will only accept residency applications in person or by mail. Residency applications that are mailed MUST BE postmarked by the last day to apply for instate residency for the term to be considered. If submitting a residency application in person, and the last day to apply for instate residency falls on a weekend or holiday, the residency application MUST BE submitted
in person by the last business day prior to the residency application due date. Due to personal information security concerns, residency applications that are faxed or e-mailed will not be accepted.

  • Granting of in-state student status ONLY applies to the semester you are applying and to future semesters thereafter. A residency reclassification cannot be retroactive.
To Apply for Residency

Download and complete the Residency Application Form and hand-deliver or mail with documentation to the Office of the Registrar.  NOTE:  Due
to COVID, the Office of the Registrar is temporarily accepting residency applications via email.  Email your completed residency application and all required documentation to our Residency Team at residency@csn.edu.  Make sure to send your email
using your CSN student email account.  Applications with required documents will only be accepted from CSN student email account.

To Appeal a Denial of Residency

You have the right to submit a Residency Appeal Form and additional supporting documentation within 30 days of the denial decision. The Residency Appeals Committee considers infrequent, exceptional cases ONLY,
where the residence of the student or their family is such that it falls within the general intent of the residency regulations and the strict application of regulations is unreasonable. The decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is final, non-negotiable, and no other appeal beyond this committee
will be permitted. You may re-apply for reclassification to Nevada resident in the future if the material facts of your residency have substantially changed and if clear, verifiable, and convincing documentation can be provided.

Residency Application Review

The Residency Team’s goal during the residency application period is to review all residency applications before the start of the semester. All residency applications that are submitted by the due date are reviewed by order of date received.  Due to the volume of residency applications
received, delays in responding to emails may result. Please be patient.

NOTE: Residency applications submitted via email (residency@csn.edu) by August 7 will receive priority.  Residency applications submitted after August 7 will be reviewed as quickly as possible, but may not be completed before the start of the semester.

Additionally, until your residency application is reviewed, you are responsible for all charges due on your account.  Once your residency application is reviewed, and if approved, all overpayments made on your account will be refunded to you by the Cashier’s Office.

Related Links
Nevada Residency Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q1. What is the most important factor in determining residency?

A1. For tuition purposes, you are a resident of the state in which you file taxes or where you are claimed as a dependent.  Nevada does not receive any monetary support for nonresidents and therefore institutions in the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) must charge out-of-state tuition to students who cannot make a clear and evident case of relocating to Nevada SOLELY for employment.

Q2. How can I be expected to earn enough money while going to school to cover my expenses and prove that I am financially independent?

A2. CSN does not EXPECT you to work full time. However, you must show that you are financially independent if you wish to be considered a Nevada resident. If you cannot show how you finance your expenses, CSN must assume that your primary purpose for living in Nevada is to attend school and that you are receiving assistance from outside sources making you an out-of-state student.

Q3. What does it mean “12 months from the day of matriculation”?

A3. It means 12 months immediately prior to the first day of your enrollment in classes.

Q4. How long do I have to live in Nevada to become a resident of the state?

A4. Students can apply for residency under several categories, some requiring twelve (12) months proof of physical residence in Nevada while others do not. Please review each category on the application to see which residency category best describes your situation.

Q5. Is having a Nevada driver’s license a requirement for residency?

A5. Nevada law requires new residents to change their license or ID within 30 days of relocating to the state. This is state law and not a Board of Regents requirement. There are other forms of documentation to choose from to show that you have lived in Nevada for 12 months, all which can be found on the application in accord with each category.

Q6. I support myself, but my parents claim me on their taxes.  Can I qualify for Nevada residency?

A6. No. You cannot be reclassified as a resident if your parents claim you on their taxes and they live outside of Nevada. For tuition purposes, you have to file your taxes in Nevada as a financially independent person.

Q7. My parents are divorced. Can I qualify for Nevada residency if the parent that claims me lives in another state?

A7. It depends. Please include with your residency application a copy of your parents’ divorce decree, proof of child support payments, and any other clear and convincing evidence that the parent who lives in Nevada helps to support you.

Q8. I receive financial help. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

Q8. It depends. You must show that you are financially independent by filing your own taxes in the state of Nevada. If you did not file taxes, you must then provide 12 consecutive months concerning the receipt of non-taxable income (i.e., wage pay stub, welfare benefits). Along with your name and Nevada address appearing on all documents reflecting non-taxable income, you will have to submit the additional proofs requested in the residency category you are applying for.

Q9. I live with my boyfriend/girlfriend/and receive financial support from them. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

A9. No. In order for you to qualify as a dependent, the person you are living with must be a legal spouse (defined as the student’s partner in legal marriage or registered domestic partner). The legal requirement to show proof of marriage license or registered domestic partnership is required regardless of children having been born of that union.

Q10. I live with a relative (grandparent, brother, aunt, etc.). Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

A10. No. Living with a family member does not qualify you for in state resident status. To qualify for residency, you must be claimed on the income tax of the Nevada resident and the Nevada resident must be your legal parent or legal guardian.

Q11. I recently married a Nevada resident. Does that qualify me for Nevada Residency for tuition purposes?

A11. Not automatically. You and your spouse must have filed joint taxes reflecting a Nevada address (regardless of which spouse actually earned the money). In addition, the spouse who is a resident of Nevada must provide 12 month-proof of residence in the state.

Q12. I did not work last year, but I am moving to Nevada to be employed full time. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

A12. It depends. If you are moving to Nevada for permanent full-time employment prior to your matriculation date at CSN, you may qualify for Nevada residency if you can provide: a) Nevada driver’s license (or vehicle or voter registration); b) a letter from the Nevada employer on company letterhead verifying full time status; and c) a paystub or a copy of active business license with proof that the business is operational. You may not apply for this category if you have already taken classes at CSN prior to starting employment.

Q13. Can I provide a lease agreement or letter for proof of residence?

A13. One of these documents alone is not sufficient. The address on the lease agreement/mortgage paper must be the same as the address on the residency application and must show that you have lived in that residence for the past 12 months. If you have lived in more than one residence during the past 12 months, please provide appropriate and verifiable evidence spanning that period (apartment company letter, proof of payment ledger or copies of monthly rent receipts).

Q14. I own property in Nevada but I live in another state. Will I have to pay out-of-state tuition?

A14. Yes. Owning property in Nevada alone does not make you a Nevada resident. For tuition purposes, you are a resident of the state in which you file taxes or the state where you are claimed as a dependent.

Q15. Do I have to provide 12 utility bills and/or bank statements with my name on them?

A15. Yes, but they don’t have to be 12 separate bills.  We prefer that you provide a 1- to 2-page statement from the utility company reflecting 12 consecutive months of payments. Bank statements must show active local transactions throughout the previous 12 months from the date of matriculation. For utility and bank statements to serve as documentation, they must reflect your name and Nevada address.

Q16. My income tax return is several pages long; do I have to provide the entire return?

A16. No. You are required to submit a tax return transcript from the IRS. You may retrieve your transcript by mail at www.irs.gov or call (800) 908-9946. Additionally, you may retrieve your tax transcript in person, by appointment only, at your local IRS office.  The Las Vegas IRS office is located at 110 City Parkway, Las Vegas, NV 89106 and their phone number is (702) 868-5005.

Q17. I filed an extension request with the IRS and do not have a copy of my current year’s tax return. Can I still apply for residency?

A17. Yes. Along with your residency application, submit a copy of your extension request and a copy of last year’s tax transcript showing a Nevada address.

Q18. Will having the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) scholarship have any impact on me receiving in-state residency.

A18. Yes. Per Board of Regents policy, a student who was initially enrolled in a NSHE institution under the WUE program cannot be reclassified as a resident student following matriculation unless the student dis-enrolls from the WUE program IN WRITING and pays full nonresident tuition for at least 12 months.

Q19. I was approved as a Nevada resident effective this semester. Will I have to reapply for next semester?

A19. No. The only way your residency status would revert to out-of-state is if you were approved under false pretenses.

Q20. I am active duty military not stationed in Nevada, but I list Nevada as my state of residence. Do I qualify for Nevada Residency for tuition purposes?

A20. Listing Nevada as the state of residence is not sufficient. The fact that residents in our state do not pay state taxes leads some military personnel to list Nevada as their state of residence. Therefore, unless the student (or military parent/spouse) can show ties to the state of Nevada (federal income tax returns, maintaining a residence), the application for residency cannot be approved. Application must include a copy of the current military order.

Q21. I have recently been honorably discharged from active duty but have not lived in Nevada for over a year.  Am I still eligible for residency?

A21. To learn if you qualify, please review NSHE's VA Tuition Information Form.

Q22. Can my residency decision become retroactive? 

A22. No. Granting of in-state student status ONLY applies to the semester you are applying and future semesters thereafter.

Q23. Why am I being asked about U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien status?

A23. Per NSHE’s Board of Regents, only the following non-US citizen categories who have established bona fide residence in Nevada are eligible for in-state residency: 1) an alien who holds a permanent immigrant visa (green card); 2) someone granted official asylum or refugee status; 3) someone issued a temporary resident alien card; 4) someone who holds an approved immigration petition as a result of marriage to a U.S. citizen; and 5) a nonimmigrant alien admitted to the U.S. with a visa classification eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. An alien holding another type of visa shall not be classified as a resident student except as required by federal law or court decisions and upon due consideration of evidence of Nevada residence (Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 15).

Q24. When I submitted my admission application, I was classified as an out-of-state resident.  Will my residency classifiction automatically change once I meet residency requirements?

A24. Residency reclassification is never automatic, even when sufficient time has passed.  You must submit a Residency Application Form.

Updated on June 21, 2019

Residency Audit

Each semester, the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education requires that 10% of newly admitted CSN students provide documentation verifying their Nevada resident classification as determined in the college's admissions form. Selected students will be notified in writing and asked to submit the Residency Audit Form and all supporting documents by a given deadline. Failure to comply with this requirement by the indicated due date will change the student's status from resident to nonresident, at which point, tuition charges will reflect out-of-state fees.