Enrollment of Profoundly Gifted & Talented Minor Students
Minors under 16 years of age as of today who wish to enroll at CSN require approval from appropriate institutional officials. Review and approval are on a case-by-case basis and require the following:
- Submittal of a petition packet to the Office of the Registrar, Attention Bernadette Lopez-Garrett. The packet may be hand-delivered (Charleston Campus - D Building) or scanned and emailed to us. The packet cannot be faxed due to readability concerns. The packet must contain:
- Student's NSHE ID number, if available
- Course(s) listing and section(s)
- A detailed and thorough parental or guardian letter addressing the child's profoundly gifted intellect, talent, and maturity to take college-level courses
- Two letters of support from the child's instructor, counselor, academic dean, or principal where he/she normally attends school. Letters of support must be on school letterhead
- Child's latest transcript and standardized test scores
The faculty member(s) teaching the class(es), in conjunction with the corresponding academic department chair(s) and academic school dean overseeing said course(s) will assess the minor student's scholastic aptitude and maturity based on guidelines found in the NSHE Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 16.
Please be advised that if, during the course of reviewing applications, it is determined that an applicant is less than 16 years of age as of today, a registration hold preventing all enrollment activity will be placed on the student's account and will remain in place until the student turns 16 or the minor's petition packets for an exception is approved after thorough review by institutional officials.