Welcome to Academic Advising
CSN Academic Advising Department will continue to provide remote services. Please do not come to any CSN campus for advising services until further notice as campuses remain closed. Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
The demand for advising is normally high in August, and may be even higher this year. We have outlined a few steps that CSN students can follow to expedite their registration this fall.
Getting Started with Academic Advising
New Student Advising Services
Students who are new to college should click on the "New Student Advising" link below to get started with academic advising services.
New Student Advising
-- OR --
Current, Returning, and Transfer Student Advising
Do not delay registration while seeking advising Services! There are many resources that returning students can use to identify and register for required courses in preparation for an advising session. Follow the five-step process outlined below to jumpstart your registration
Get a Jumpstart on Registration
1. Confirm your major in MyCSN.
- If your major is correct, move forward to step 2 below.
- If your major is not correct or you are changing your major, declare the correct major and seek an advising appointment before you register for the term. For assistance in changing your major, click here.
2. Access your Academic Requirements report in MyCSN.
3. Use the Academic Requirements report to select classes for the semester.
4. Register for classes.
5. See the Express Virtual Advising (VEA) option below to meet with an advisor to confirm your course selections from the fall term.
Advising Options for Registration
(Current, Returning, Transfer Students)
Virtual Express Advising
Throughout the month of August, the Academic Advising Department will serve students through Virtual Express Advising (VEA).
VEA requires no appointment and uses a first come, first served approach, Monday through Friday from 9 AM - 3:30 PM. These sessions will be conducted by phone only. Students who wish to meet with an advisor through VEA should check into the advising queue (https://at.csn.edu/virtualqline) for any campus. When you are at the front of the queue, you will receive a phone call from an academic advisor.
*If you have an IEP or 504 Plan and wish to meet individually with an academic advisor in a scheduled online appointment, please contact us by phone at 702-651-3165.
Email Questions and Answer Service
Advising will continue to respond to emails at Contact Us, whereby students can send minor questions such as "How do I change my major?" or "Where can I find my degree sheet?"
Again, CSN Academic Advising Department will continue to provide remote until further notice. Please do not come to any CSN campus for advising services. Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
Academic Advising is Your Partner in Academic Success
There’s more to academic advising than choosing your courses and creating your educational plan. Keeping in touch with your academic advisor can help you stay on track in order to achieve your goals.
Academic Advisors can help you with:
- Creating a plan to meet your academic goals
- Skill-coaching in time management, self-advocacy, goal clarification, study-skills and the development of personal plans for academic success
- Determining your transfer options
- Providing information about campus resources and services
- Balancing school with work and family commitments
Your academic advisor helps you understand your degree plan and makes recommendations on course selection each semester. Your advisor will help you stay on track as you work towards your educational goals. At CSN, students are required to meet with their academic advisor at the completion of 15, 30, and 45 semester credit hours.
When you enroll at the College of Southern Nevada, you’ll have an academic advisor who’s firmly in your corner.