Welcome to Academic Advising
Academic Advising is Your Partner in Academic Success There’s more to academic advising than choosing your courses and creating your educational plan. Keeping in touch with your academic advisor can help you stay on track in order to achieve your goals.
Academic Advisors can help you with:
- Creating a plan to meet your academic goals
- Skill-coaching in time management, self-advocacy, goal clarification, study-skills and the development of personal plans for academic success
- Determining your transfer options
- Providing information about campus resources and services
- Balancing school with work and family commitments
Your academic advisor helps you understand your degree plan and makes recommendations on course selection each semester. At CSN, students are required to meet with their academic advisor at the completion of 15, 30, and 45 semester credit hours.
When you enroll at the College of Southern Nevada, you’ll have an academic advisor who’s firmly in your corner.
Getting Started with Academic Advising
At CSN, Advising departments are designated based on your major. Health Sciences majors should visit https://www.csn.edu/health-sciences for more information about advising. Not sure which majors fall under Health Sciences? Visit https://www.csn.edu/healtharea to see a list of our health programs.
Students pursuing all other majors should read and follow the information below for the General Academic Advising Department services.
Schedule an appointment. Most appointments are 30 minutes and are scheduled on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:30 am -3:30 pm. Follow the steps below to schedule an appointment.
- Transfer Programs vs. Non-Transfer Programs vs. Certificates: Choosing the Best Credential for You - https://youtu.be/yREG1PWnols
- How to Register For Classes - https://youtu.be/EX3VIcwYWuw
- Navigating the Transfer Process to CSN - https://youtu.be/1wJC6ehYcFg
- Chart Your Degree Completion with the Advising (ADV) Report - https://youtu.be/St-CDl9W6FU
- Help with the Financial Aid Degree Guidance Notice - https://youtu.be/t_Q2qu5aSSg
- The Substitution Waiver Process Explained - https://youtu.be/y1yMYenXxi8
Advising will continue to respond to emails at Advising@csn.edu, whereby students can send minor questions such as "How do I change my major?" or "Where can I find my degree sheet?"
* Please contact us by phone at 702-651-3165 if you have an IEP or 504 Plan and need assistance in meeting with an academic advisor.
In the Academic Advising Handbook and Academic Advising Syllabus, you will find valuable information regarding advising timelines and expectations, CSN resources, areas of study and majors, registration, and much more.
Regular Hours: Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm
Academic Advising will be closed on federal and state holidays.
CHARLESTON CAMPUS - 6375 W. Charleston Blvd.
Bldg. D - Lobby, Las Vegas, Nevada 89146
HENDERSON CAMPUS - 700 College Dr.
Bldg. B - Room 120, Henderson, Nevada 89002
NORTH LAS VEGAS CAMPUS - 3200 East Cheyenne Ave.
Main Building S, Room 201 (upstairs), North Las Vegas, Nevada 89030
Contact Us through Email at Advising@csn.edu.
The mission of Academic Advising is to foster the optimal student experience by providing exceptional guidance and assistance with academic planning through partnerships with our students, faculty, and staff.
Not sure where to start?
Registering for Classes
Transferring to CSN
Financial Aid Degree