New Student Advising
Congratulations on Starting Your CSN Journey!
CSN Academic Advising is looking forward to getting to know you and having the opportunity to work with you during your academic career.
After you are accepted to CSN and have completed your account validation, please complete the following steps before seeking advising:
- Complete your Math and English Placement Requirements
Testing is currently available remotely and in person. Take CSN’s placement OR submit your qualifying ACT/SAT scores that are less than two years old. For information on submitting ACT/SAT scores, please visit the Testing Center.
Math - If you are planning to major in Business, Education, or any of the Sciences, you are required to complete the Math Placement.
- Math Placement tests are delivered through the ALEKS PPL Math platform and can be taken anytime. Visit ALEKS PPL Math Placement, read all downloading and system requirements to take the Math placement exam. ALEKS PPL also allows you to study and improve your math skills for placement.
English - English Placement Self-Guided Survey: All new students are encouraged to use our Self-Guided Placement Survey to help determine their English placement. Please use this link to take the survey and receive your personalized recommendation.
- Complete the CSN New Student Online Orientation
Complete the online orientation to become familiar with your CSN community and resources available to you. Access is available in your GoCSN account. Use your NSHE student ID number and password to login to GoCSN and select the New Student Online Orientation Tile. Visit the Orientation webpage or email us at email@example.com for more information.
- Meet with an Advisor
There are two ways to meet with an advisor:
OPTION ONE: REGISTRATION EVENTS
If you are a new, first time in college student, we strongly encourage you to participate in one of our CSN Registration Events now through August 5. At these events you can:
- Get enrolled and leave with a Fall 2022 schedule in hand
- Talk with a representative from the Financial Aid Department
- Get help with removing completed holds from your account
- Meet with an Academic Advisor. Note that Health Advisors may not be present at all events.
OPTION TWO: MEET WITH AN ADVISOR IN PERSON OR BY PHONE
Health Science Majors
New students with Health Sciences majors should visit the Getting Started Webpage to schedule a meeting with a health programs advisor.
To check to see if your major falls under the health programs curriculum, visit https://www.csn.edu/healtharea and refer to the list of degree and certificate programs at the bottom of the page.
All students who are notHealth Science majors may participate in Open Advising. Appointments are not required during Open Advising, and students can meet with advisors on a first come, first served basis.
Open Advising is available Monday through Friday beginning July 5 to September 4, 2022, from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. Please note the Open Advising restrictions for each campus as noted below.
Henderson: unavailable Tuesdays from 8 am -1 pm
North Las Vegas: unavailable Thursdays from 8 am – 1 pm
Charleston Campus: unavailable Fridays from 8 am – 1 pm
Please be advised that Open Advising may require a wait time of an hour or greater. Line(s) may close early during times of extremely high volume.
During Open Advising, students can meet with advisors on campus or by phone.
- To meet with an advisor on campus, students should check into the advising queue online or at their preferred campus and select the ‘In-person Academic Advising’ queue. You will receive a text message alerting you when it is your turn to see an advisor.
- To meet with an advisor by phone, students can use the check into the advising queue and choose the “Academic Advising by Phone” queue. When you reach the front of the queue for "Academic Advising by Phone," you will receive a phone call from an academic advisor.
Open Advising sessions provide the following services:
- Course Recommendations
- Advising Hold Removals
- General Questions
- Campus Referrals
*If you have an IEP or 504 Plan and wish to speak with someone before scheduling your appointment, please contact us by phone: 702-651-3165.
*Still have questions? Visit Advising@csn.edu
CONCLUDE Your Enrollment Process: Register & Pay
Upon the completion of steps 1 through 3, you can proceed to register for classes. For additional support in the online class registration process, please make an appointment with the Virtual Students First Station. The Cashier’s Office provides information about cost of attendance and payment deadlines. If you have applied for financial aid, you will be contacted via email. Login to MyCSN and check your “TO DO LIST” for possible verification requirements. Visit CSN Financial Aid webpage for important financial aid information and announcements.
Effective Fall 2021, Nevada public colleges and universities will require all new, beginning students to enroll in the gateway college-level English and math courses required for their program/major within their first year of study. Some gateway courses will include college-level coursework only, while others will include the same college-level coursework along with corequisite instruction. Corequisite instruction delivers in-class, in-time support to ensure student success. While enrollment in courses featuring corequisite instruction will be open to all students, a qualifying test score may be required to enroll in courses without the corequisite support. Please see the chart which contains an overview of gateway and co-requisite courses, but does not replace an advisor's recommendation.
*Still have questions? Contact Us!