CSN Logo

Current Students

Students on campus


International students in F-1 status are required to enroll in a full course of study for each Fall and Spring semester and make typical academic progress towards completion of their degree program to maintain their F-1 status.

Students must take at least 12 credits of in-person classes each semester during the academic year. If continuing, students are not required to register for the summer semester.

Exceptions to full-time enrollment

Students may request a Reduced Course Load (RCL) for the exceptions listed below. Failure to enroll in a full course of study without approval for RCL will result in a violation of legal status.

Acceptable reasons outlined by immigration regulations - 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(iii) to apply for RCL:

  1. Academic Difficulties
    • Initial difficulty with the English language or reading requirements
    • Unfamiliarity with US teaching methods
    • Improper course level placement

    NOTE: Students must register for at least 6 credits during the semester in which they request RCL.
  2. Medical Reasons Due To A Temporary Illness Or Medical Condition
    • Students can only use medical RCL for a maximum of 12 months per degree level
    • Students must provide a supporting medical letter from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist
  3. Final Semester of Study
    • Students must be enrolled for at least one in-person course during the RCL semester
    • If students have less than 12 credits remaining to complete a degree program, they can apply for RCL in their final semester
Non-Acceptable Reasons to Apply for Reduced Credit Load (RCL)
  • Medical condition of a family member
  • Family or childcare
  • Failing class(es) or Academic Suspension
  • Auditing courses
  • Financial Difficulties
Typical academic progress

F-1 students are required to make typical academic progress towards degree/certificate completion to maintain their F-1 status. Typical academic progress includes:

  • Earning and maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.0 each semester
  • Enrolling in courses that are required to satisfy the academic degree program listed on the I-20
  • Satisfying all institutional enrollment requirements
Reduced Credit Load (RCL)

Students wishing to submit a request for Reduced Credit Load (RCL) must do the following:

  • Call the International Center for assistance with the Reduced Course Load form and receive approval
  • Maintain a course load of at least 12 credits until permission is received from the International Center for RCL

Please NOTE the following:

  • Failure to meet with an advisor to request RCL when you are under-enrolled may cause you to be out of status
  • RCL permission is only valid for the semester indicated on your I-20

Your F-1 documents (visa, passport, I-20s and I-94s)

The I-94 record issued by U.S, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) shows that you have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. You can print your I-94 record here. You may need your I-94 for employment reasons, Social Security, obtaining a driver’s license, etc.

CSN will issue your initial I-20 once your application has been processed and you have been accepted. You must bring it to your visa interview. Your I-20 will be activated once you have arrived and registered for classes. This confirms your official enrollment and active student status.

It is recommended that you become familiar with the rules outlined in this section to ensure your visa remains active.


*Mandatory Rule* - To maintain F-1 status, you must keep your I-20 valid

If you are unable to complete your degree program by the program end date on your I-20, you must call the International Center at least a month prior to the program end date on your I-20 to request permission for an extension. If you fail to request a program extension in a timely manner, you will be out of status.

According to immigration regulations - 8 CFR 214.2(f)(7)(iii), the following are the most common reasons to request an I-20 extension:

  • Low placement test for ENG and MATH
  • Change of major
  • Unexpected degree requirements
  • Medical reasons

NOTE: An extension reason cannot be approved for NOT making satisfactory academic progress.


If you plan to travel outside the U.S., you must bring your current I-20 to the International Center to request a travel signature at least two weeks before your travel date. Things to do or consider before you travel:

  1. You must enroll in a full course of study and have a valid I-20
  2. You must have a valid passport
  3. Your visa must be valid beyond the date at which you plan to re-enter the U.S. (Canadian students are not required to have a visa to enter the U.S.)
  4. If you are traveling after the end of your current semester, you must be registered for the next academic semester
  5. If you are traveling during OPT, you need to check with the International Center to make sure you have all your documents before you leave


Leave of Absence / Withdrawal

If you need to return to your home country for personal reasons or have applied for a change of status, you must submit a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal request through TerraDotta and call the International Center to process your request. Your request must be approved before withdrawing from classes.

If your request for early withdrawal is authorized, you may be required to leave the United States within 15 days of the school start date or withdrawal date.

Academic Suspension

You must call the International Center to discuss your options if you are on academic suspension.


Transferring to UNLV

CSN and UNLV belong to the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE), which means that there are many academic degrees at CSN that translate to the first two years of coursework for a 4-year bachelor’s degree at UNLV.

Students who graduate from CSN with an associate degree may transfer to UNLV with 50% (half) of a bachelor’s degree already completed.

Students intending to transfer to UNLV should:

  1. Make an appointment with the International Center to create a transfer plan
  2. Make an appointment with a CSN/UNLV transfer advisor at one of three CSN campus locations

Transferring to a College or University in Another State

Students intending to transfer to a college outside the state of Nevada should:

  1. Make an appointment with the International Center to create a transfer plan.
  2. Review the programs and admissions requirements for the institution to which they wish to transfer.


The International Center staff are responsible for complying with immigration regulations and assisting students in maintaining their F-1 status.  As a student in F-1 status, you are responsible for maintaining your status.

If you fail to maintain your status, the International Center staff are required to terminate your SEVIS record and you will be considered "out of status".  When you are out of status, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment, practical training, re-entry to the U.S., or other benefits of F-1 status.

The following are considered violations of F-1 status including failure to:

  • Enroll or maintain in a full course of study
  • Maintain normal academic progress
  • Request for a program extension prior to the I-20 expiration date
  • Report an address change in MyCSN within 10 days
  • Request for change of major on your I-20 if you change your major or degree level

In addition, unauthorized employment is considered a violation of F-1 status.


You have two options to regain your status if your F-1 status is terminated:

  1. Apply for reinstatement within five months. You must call the International Center for assistance with the reinstatement process in order to apply for reinstatement.
  2. Travel and re-enter the U.S. using a new I-20 from CSN.  If you re-enter with your initial I-20, you will be required to complete one academic year to apply for off-campus practical training employment.


On-Campus Employment

International students with a F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters and 40 hours during vacation periods. International students are allowed to start working on campus as soon as they begin attending CSN.

Application Requirements and Procedures for On-Campus Employment

  • Register at CSN in a full course of study to work on campus during fall and spring semesters.
  • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
  • Work on campus in a capacity that serves students.
  • Complete a document request through TerraDotta to obtain a work authorization letter from the International Center (work authorization must be renewed every semester).
  • Complete a document request form through TerraDotta from the International Center to obtain a Social Security number.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined to be any alternate work-study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school (8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)). To be considered for CPT, the work must be an integral part of the established curriculum.

Application Requirements and Procedures
Students must:

  • Call the International Center to discuss the practical training opportunity
  • Enroll in the appropriate CPT course on the degree sheet listed in the CSN catalog
  • Currently be in good academic standing and must maintain a full course of study
  • Submit all required documents through Terra Dotta to receive work authorization:
    • CPT approval form signed by the appropriate instructor for the CPT class
    • A job offer letter typed on company letterhead indicating:
      • Job title
      • Date of employment
      • Hours of work per week
      • Location
      • Job description
      • Start date
      • Employer contact information
  • Students may work part-time for 20 hour or less per week while enrolled in classes or full-time for 40 hours per week during vacation periods and summer
  • Students will receive a new I-20 once approved for CPT
  • Students MUST NOT begin working until they receive CPT authorization from the International Center or will be considered to be violating their F-1 status based on unauthorized employment rules
  • Students are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number once they receive the CPT authorization
Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is intended to provide hands-on practical experience complementary to the academic program, 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii).  OPT is designed to provide students with an opportunity for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study.

Application Requirements and Procedures

  • Must be in currently good academic standing and must maintain a full course of study
  • Are required to attend an OPT workshop to discuss how to apply for OPT and the process to obtain OPT At the workshop, students will be provided with application instructions, handouts, and an OPT form I-765 application
  • Call the International Center to discuss your options
  • It can take more than 90 days to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. We strongly recommend applying for OPT three months prior to finishing your program

While Students are on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training, students must:

  • Submit a copy of their OPT card to the International Center
  • Begin working within 90 days of the start date listed on the EAD card and must provide employer information to the International Center by completing the OPT Employer Verification form

Students unable to find a job within 90 days of the start date on the OPT, must call the International Center.

  • Students may travel outside the US while the OPT is pending with a valid passport, visa, Notice of Action letter from USCIS, and travel signature on your I-20. However, traveling during OPT is not recommended
  • If you have been approved for OPT, you need your EAD card, a letter from your employer, and a travel signature on your I-20. Warning! – It is difficult to obtain a new visa while on OPT
  • If you decide to leave the US during your OPT, you must notify the International Center and submit a form so we can close your SEVIS record
Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship is off-campus employment authorized by the USCIS for F-1 students who have proved that they are experiencing severe financial difficulties caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control. If you are experiencing severe economic hardship, please call the International Center to schedule an appointment with an advisor.


All CSN students are required to have health insurance coverage and must enroll in CSN's approved health insurance plan. Students cannot register for courses until they have purchased insurance.

Christian Ipanaque Olivos - International Student from Peru


Provides assistance with password resets (GoCSN, MyCSN, Canvas & CSN Email), MyCSN Navigation, Account Validations & General CSN Questions. Call 702-651-5555 (press option #4).

Provides international students help with admissions, orientation, personal counseling and immigration advisement. Students can call 702-651-5820 or email advisor.ic@csn.edu to schedule either an in-person or remote appointment. Hours of operation are Monday- Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D – Room 106, 702-651-5820

Provides degree planning assistance and course selection recommendations for students each semester. Hours of operation are Monday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For instructions on how to schedule an appointment, students can visit www.csn.edu/advising.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D - Lobby, 702-651-5670
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 120 Student Services Area,  702-651-3165
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. S - Room 201 (second floor),  702-651-4049

Provides all textbooks and course materials for CSN classes in addition to selling a wide variety of other books, clothing, and apparel (hoodies and T-shirts), gifts, school supplies, convenience items, and Coyote fan gear. For more information, students can visit www.csn.edu/bookstore.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D - 120, 702-651-5606
- HENDERSON: Bldg. B - 120,  702-651-3055
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E - 124,  702-651-4645

Provides monthly student activities for CSN students.
- CHARLESTON: Student Union - Room 127, 702-651-5904
- HENDERSON: Student Union - Room 113,  702-651-3709
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Student Union - Room 127,  702-651-2781

Offers career exploration, job search assistance, transfer guidance and assistance with utilizing the Career & Technical Education Program (CTEAP) grant for students and alumni. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For more information, students can visit www.csn.edu/CATS or email at: cats@csn.edu.
- CHARLESTON: Modular Bldg. 9 (near bldg. K) 702-651-5089
- HENDERSON: Student Union - Room 127,  702-651-3174
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 122 Student Services Area,  702-651-4700

The Cashier’s Office provides a number of services including cashiering, fee assessment, collections and refunds. If you are requesting to pick up any documentation, a valid photo ID must be presented at the time of pick-up. Hours of operation are Monday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Students can also email the Cashiers Office at cashiers.office@csn.edu.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D - 120, 702-651-5650
- HENDERSON: Bldg. B - 120,  702-651-3022
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E - 124,  702-651-4064

Provides quality DROP-IN academic assistance to all students enrolled in for-credit courses at CSN. Tutors are available for most general education courses and some historically challenging courses. Academic learning support includes assistance with learning strategies, Canvas, Smarthinking online tutoring, Microsoft Office, reading, writing, oral presentations, math and science. CAS tutors also provide support to study groups. CAS is open Monday through Sunday to be more accessible to all students. Hours for all locations are Monday-Thursday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Friday-Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. For more information students can visit www.csn.edu/centers-academic-success.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. C - Learning Commons,  702-651-5732
- HENDERSON: Bldg. C - Learning Commons, 702-651-3125
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. C - Learning Commons,  702-651-4232

Early Childhood Education services for young children of students/faculty/staff. CSN students may be eligible for reduced rates and/or subsidies.
- CHARLESTON: 24 months - Pre-K, 702-651-7390
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: 3 months - Pre-K, 702-651-4004

Internet and CANVAS access, word processing, Microsoft Office, and tutorials in computer programs. Always reference at.csn.edu/computerlabs for the current hours of operation.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. C - First Floor,  702-651-5931
- HENDERSON: Bldg. C - First Floor, 702-651-3002
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. C - Second Floor, 702-651-4592

Offers a variety of free and confidential psychological services aimed to help students in their emotional, relational and behavioral growth. Appointments can be made by contacting the department.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 104,  702-651-5518
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Room 136,  702-651-3099
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 120,  702-651-4099

Counselors advocate for students and address their needs through preventative retention efforts and the development of individualized success plans. Counselors provide assistance for students on academic warning, probation, and suspension, students on financial aid warning and those who require SAP appeals. Counselors also provide wrap-around services for students, administer the early alert process and work to assist students in getting connected to community resources. Visit www.csn.edu/academic-counseling for additional information.
- CHARLESTON: Student Union - Room 127, 702-651-5204
- HENDERSON: Student Union - Room 127,  702-651-5204
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Student Union - Room 127,  702-651-5204

Provides equal access to students with qualified disabilities through approved accommodations. Appointments can be made by calling the specific campus of choice for intake services.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. D - Room 116, 702-651-5644
- HENDERSON Bldg. B - Student Services Area,  702-651-3795
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. E - Room 120N,  702-651-4045
- DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING SERVICES: NLV Modular Bldg. 3, VP 702-475-4676, Fax 702-651-4583

Provides student/staff/faculty children age six months to pre-kinder morning pre-school classes. The lab operates on a waiting list basis.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: 702-651-4004

Provides information and assistance to students applying for financial aid programs such as grants, work-study, scholarships and loans. Financial aid TV, FAFSA workshops and the Coyote Chatbot are also available to student at www.csn.edu/financialaid. Hours of operation are Monday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Students can send correspondence via email to finaid@csn.edu.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D – Lobby, 702-651-4303
- HENDERSON: Bldg. B - Student Services Area, 702-651-4303
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E- Room 118 Student Services Area, 702-651-4303

First Year Experience (FYE) is a holistic experience of support, connection and welcome for all new first-year students and families connecting students to peers, the CSN community, campus resources and a network for overall success. New students move through the FYE with innovative and impactful programming including New Student Orientation events, FYE celebration traditions, Peer Leader connections and overall programming and support for academic and social engagement in the college community. The goal of the FYE at CSN is to personalize the first year for each student maximizing student success and every student’s ability to meet their goals! For more information, visit the web page at: www.csn.edu/fye.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – Room 120, 702-651-2727

Provides English as a second language (ESL) testing. Labs also provide language students access to audio, video and computer materials used in developing language proficiency. More information and testing, please visit CSN ESL Program homepage at: www.csn.edu/esl.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. C - Room 169,  702-651-5736
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. C - Room 2649,  702-651-4475

Librarians help students find, access and use information and cite sources for assignments. CSN libraries offer reference services, computer/laptop access, individual and group study space, books/DVDs to check out, short-term use of textbooks and online articles/eBooks and streaming videos. More information and access to eBooks, electronics articles, steaming videos, research guides and online tutorials can be found at: library.csn.edu.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. I - First Floor, 702-651-5723
- HENDERSON: Bldg. H - First Floor, 702-651-3066
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – 201, 702-651-4014

A gathering space to provide students opportunities to affirm their unique identities, build a sense of community and cultivate their leadership skills through inclusive programming, services and referrals.
- CHARLESTON: Student Union – Room 121, 702-651-4231
- HENDERSON: Student Union – Room 121, 702-651-4231
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Student Union – Room 121, 702-651-4231

A central location to connect students to the people and services that can help them succeed. MyCoyotePLAN also allows CSN’s instructional staff to proactively engage with students using Early Alert and Kudos tools to provide enhanced student communications and support to pass their classes. Students and faculty can access MyCoyotePLAN in their GOCSN account.

Offers assistance in networking classes. Lab hours vary. Visit www.csn.edu/cit-information to learn more.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. A - Room 2726

Provides support to students taking online courses and assistance with CANVAS. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday: 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. Assistance available 24/7 at: eLearning@csn.edu. For more information, visit www.csn.edu/online-campus.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. C – Room 213, 702-651-5619

Handles admissions, transcripts, student appeal petitions, declaration of major, transfer credit evaluation, applications for graduation, personal data changes and residency (including tuition classification based on state residency). Hours of operation are Monday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.csn.edu/admissions.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D – Lobby, 702-651-5610
- HENDERSON: Bldg. B – Student Services Area, 702-651-3030
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – Room 112 Student Services Area, 702-651-4060

Offers online tutoring, writing services and homework assistance 24/7. It provides assistance in Math (Basic Skills through Calculus II), Writing, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Accounting, Economics, Spanish, Statistics and Nursing. To access services, students can log into their GoCSN account and then into Canvas. Students can choose a listed course on the left and then click on Smarkthinking Tutoring. Visit www.csn.edu/online-support or call 702-651-5619 for additional information.

Offers assistance in Computing & Information Technology, Computer Science, and Information Systems classes. Hours of operation vary. To check the schedule, visit www.csn.edu/cit-information.
- CHARLESTON Bldg. C – Room 116
- HENDERSON Bldg. C – Room 116
- NORTH LAS VEGAS Bldg. A – Room 2767

Works with:

❖ Student Government - The elected student body representing all CSN students.

❖ Academy for Leadership, Strategy and Innovation - Institute that develops students into becoming proactive, productive
and engaging leaders.

❖ Student Clubs and Organizations - approximately 40.

❖ Phi Theta Kappa - the honor society for community and junior colleges. (3.5 Cum GPA).

❖ Student Identification Cards - must show a current semester schedule and photo I.D. Please visit www.csn.edu/student-life for additional information.

Provides monthly service leadership/volunteer opportunities in the Las Vegas valley for CSN students. Please visit www.csn.edu/csn-serves for additional information.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – Room 105, 702-651-4669

Offer placement testing for CSN students on a walk-in basis. They also offer certification, credit by examination and serve as make-up test locations. Make an appointment to test at www.csn.edu/csn-testing.
- CHARLESTON: Bldg. D – Lobby,  702-651-5733
- HENDERSON: Bldg. B - Room 107 Across from Student Services Area,  702-651-3128
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E - Room 122 Student Services Area,  702-651-4050

One stop shop for first-generation college, financial aid eligible, and disabled students offering tutoring, academic advising, career exploration, college transfer assistance and development of college success strategies. Please visit www.csn.edu/trio for additional information.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – Room 109, 702-651-4441

Provides UNLV transfer information (i.e., degree plans, transfer agreements, course equivalency) and admission assistance (i.e., application process and deadlines). Please visit www.unlv.edu/advising/uctp to schedule an appointment and find information.
- CHARLESTON: Modular Bldg. 9 (near bldg. K), 702-651-4969
- HENDERSON: Student Union – Room 127, 702-651-4969
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Bldg. E – Room 122-N, 702-651-4969

The Nevada State Transfer Team is available to assist all CSN students with general information about our degree programs, selecting the correct Associate’s Degree at CSN for transfer and the application process to Nevada State College. It is never too soon or too late to schedule with us. Available for both “Zoom” and “Phone Appts” along with “Walk-In Wednesdays” on a revolving schedule in the Student Union’s at all three main CSN campuses. Contact us for more details on “Walk-In Wednesdays”. Contact us today. www.nsc.edu/transfer2state. Text Line: 702-978-7436 Email: transfer@nsc.edu
- CHARLESTON: Mondays Modular Bldg. 10 (near bldg. K), 702-992-2170
- HENDERSON: Tuesdays Bldg. B - Room 124, 702-992-2170
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: Wednesdays Bldg. E - Room 120G, 702-992-2160

Certifies enrollment of veterans and their dependents using veterans’ educational benefits; acts as liaison with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Eligible recipients should apply for educational benefits at www.va.gov. Apply for admission using the CSN Veteran Benefits application then visit the VETS Center to continue your journey to success. VA beneficiaries may also contact the CSN VETS office to make an appointment to speak with a VA advisor (non-health science majors only). Hours of operation are Monday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- CHARLESTON: Modular Bldg. 11 (near bldg. K), 702-651-5060